• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carry case question

mwilkins

Minuteman
Jun 1, 2010
Sachse, TX.
I just picked up a Pelican case to carry one of my guns in as I couldn't find a soft case long enough. Question is, how/what is the best way to pattern the gun and to cut the foam so that it is a clean cut and not jagged edged?

Re: Carry case question

I use a fine line Sharpie to mark the outline, then use a scroll saw to make the cut. I have heard that a hot-wire cutter works well. An electric knife (dual reciprocating blades) will cut thick foam, but detailed cuts are not so easy with these blades.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.Draig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a fine line Sharpie to mark the outline, then use a scroll saw to make the cut. I have heard that a hot-wire cutter works well. An electric knife (dual reciprocating blades) will cut thick foam, but detailed cuts are not so easy with these blades.</div></div>

You can use the methods that D.Draig has mentioned as they've worked format others. I didn't have the space to build a hotwire setup so I traced everything with a fine tip Sharpie and using one of the cheap utility knives with the snap-off blades, I carefully cut everything out. It's probably not the best looking job on the Hide but it will suffice until I can get the closed-cell foam professionally cut by Pelican.

cFkn0A.jpg

yBM8ma.jpg

Looks like you did a damn good job to me. Thanks for posting the pic as it gave me some ideas. Probably will leave the scope attached as I am not using any qd mounts. Bi-pod will definitly be coming off though.

Total agree with killshot. also just for you info i was on hunting trip with my 1750 case, i have one of those resses hitch cargo carriers on the back of the soccer van, on the way home the exhaust melted the case. pelican is covering the damage that's why i only buy pelican cases.

031c6478.jpg
22d869af.jpg

pelican, otter-box they more money but if anything happen they fix it. no big deal. i told them what happen expecting them to say no they where more than happy to replace even told me i could get a different color, sweet

same here. I just traced with a fine tip sharpie and used an x-acto knife. There maybe a cleaner way, but mine came out ok

Thanks for the tips guys. I was concerned with leaving the trace lines but what I think I will do is turn the foam over and make my tracings on the back side to cut. Obviously reversing my gun to make sure it is in the direction I desire... Looks like a trip to Home Depot for a razor knife is in order.

update, got my insert cut using the method suggested earlier in the thread. Turned out decent. Think I could have done a little bit better job but hey, it's a learning experience. May purchase a new insert and try the hot wire but don't know if I want to spend the time on it now. I think this is going to server its purpose for the time being. Pic is a little grainy from the cell phone but you get the idea.

IMAG0144.jpg

Got a hook up on some Pelican cases so I stocked up. Started cutting the foam on one with a hot wire setup and must say this is the way to go. Only problem was that my transformer burned up about half way through a new layout. Had to finish up using the manual cut with a razor knife method.

So I finished up one case, laid out another and will wait to cut it until I can build a reliable hot wire system. A few pics below. Two are complete and the layout of a third case is in there for a multi-gun application.

Cases cut and soon to be cut

IMAG0194.jpg

Last edited: