• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Carry gun - Your thoughts?

Groundedclk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2007
Tilton, New Hampshire, USA
I am a finicky pain in the ass, and worse then a woman when it comes to making a decision.

I am not looking for you to tell me what to carry or answer a bunch of questions.

What I would like to know is:

What carry guns have you owned?

What do you believe is the best carry gun and why?
You do not have to of had one, just be able to explain why you believe it is the best carry gun and be practical.

Carry guns I have owned:
Sig 229R 357sig
HK P2000SK 40sw
Sig 239 357sig
Glock 26
Glock 27
Glock 29
Colt 1911
JFrame
LCR
Sig 220
Springfield Champion

Ideal Carry gun:

Browning HP Detective
-Small
-Concealable
-Nice trigger
-Fast
Dislikes:
-Finish
-Magazines

Re: Carry gun - Your thoughts?

For me, Glock 17.

The main reason being that it's the handgun I've carried most in the past 20 years or so. It's very well known to me.

Being simple to operate, reliable, and having plenty of ammo onboard is not bad either.

I like the Glock 17's also, for concealed carry it is hard to beat a Glock 19 if you can wear a holster, for pocket carry a 642 Smith.

The 19 is easily concealable, very manageable in size while still having a full grip, good magazine capacity, easy to maintain and reliable.

The 642 is reliable, lightweight, easily carried in a pocket, low maintenance and pretty dust and pocket lint proof.

Of all the handguns I have cariied over the years those are my favorites.

My list:

Glock 19
S&W M&P
HK P7
S&W 642
Springfield EMP

The latter two are my current carry guns.

My criteria at this point is that it must be single stack if it's an automatic and preferably a 9mm. I do not carry any guns that are not at least a .38 or 9mm, but I have considered it.

The J frame gets the most carry time because it is light weight and easy to carry, but also packs enough power for most purposes.

The EMP will get more time when it's a bit cooler outside I bet.

Light and slim are most important to me. The lighter and slimmer, the better.

i want to know what you fucks do when its triple digit out.....and you're sporting shorts and your near the salt water.....what to wear, what to do ????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i want to know what you fucks do when its triple digit out.....and you're sporting shorts and your near the salt water.....what to wear, what to do ???? </div></div>

Not near the saltwater but plenty of it coming out from under my shirt. Hot weather its a Glock 26 in a horsehide Crossbreed Supertuck. Even if the shirt is soaked through I can conceal goo at the 4 o'clock position. Cool weather M&P 40 in a Raven Holster IWB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">polish P64 stored in my delta force rucksack</div></div>

rucksack or fanny pack ?

I think the Kahr brand of guns are nice for carry guns. The PM9 is a great little gun in 9mm and there is a very big following. It is very slender and you can fit it much easier than a Glock with a IWB holster.

The ideal carry gun is the one that you're the most proficient with.

I carry a Sig 226 because I can manipulate it effortlessly anytime day or night, with numb fingers in the snow, under water, hanging upside down, on my back, seated or standing, left or right handed.

I have found that I have to use a few extra brain cells when manipulating any pistol other than my Sig. If I get into a gunfight, I want to have the ability to function on brain stem alone when it comes to my weapon so I can pay more attention to the threat.

Find the weapon that you are most proficient with and then ask, "What is the best way to carry weapon X?"

On a tangent, where you carry your weapon is just as important as deciding which weapon you carry.

Glock 19/23 is what I would go with. Cheap to buy, very reliable. Will give you years of service. Magazines are reliable and affordable. Requires very little maintenance and lube. Small easily concealable but yet is plenty accurate for a combat pistol. Small enough to run IWB but large enough that even with big hands there is usually no issue with magazines getting hung up on your pinky finger. Lightweight because of polymer and pretty rounded out so not to have sharp edges.

I'd say the key feature of any carry gun is it works every time. Think that reliability needs to be top of your list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i want to know what you fucks do when its triple digit out.....and you're sporting shorts and your near the salt water.....what to wear, what to do ???? </div></div>

Shorts & Short sleeve polo with my LCR when I am at Hampton.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">polish P64 stored in my delta force rucksack</div></div>

rucksack or fanny pack ? </div></div>

I'm thinking Thunderwear....

Me, P3AT in a High Noon Mr Softy, 1:00, 4:00.
Disappears in anything bigger than a banana hammock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say the key feature of any carry gun is it works every time. Think that reliability needs to be top of your list. </div></div>

Key feature of every gun in my safe is that it goes bang every time. A gun that doesn't isn't worth keeping.

It's hard to beat an old 19oz Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special.

Reliability being the end all be all for me.

The next is I'd like a 9mm or larger but that's a personal preference. I just simply haven't done my homework on anything other than 9mm and .45 to be honest.

I've carried:

USPc .45
G27 (.40s&w)
P2000sk 9mm

I have a Remora holster which has been AWESOME! I can carry a relatively 'heavy' compact P2000sk 9mm with it. I wear my work out shorts and just tie the string. I can actually go for a light jog without a problem. It's worth a shot for $30 IMHO. I have the 5 Art cut for the P2000sk btw.

http://www.remoraholsters.com/

I still want a tiny single stack 9mm that has HK/Glock/Sig reliability...

I have been carrying a Kahr CW40 for the past couple of years and I love it. I originally bought it to just carry in the hotter months because figured it would be fairly easy to conceal, but I found myself carrying it a lot during the winter (90% of the time). During the summer I carry it in a Galco IWB holster just behind my hip, which even works in shorts and a tee shirt. After the break in procedure suggested by Kahr, I havent had a single malfunction. I sold my Ruger LCP (was my warm weather carry gun) last Friday to one of my buddies because I havent carried a single time since I got the Kahr. Something about having 7 rounds on tap in the 40 cal makes me feel better than 8 in the 380.

I've carried:

XD45 Tactical 5" - crossbreed supertuck
XD40 Subcompact - crossbreed supertuck and CQC OWB
Glock 30 - supertuck/CQC/Alessi shoulder
Glock 20 - supertuck/Alessi
S&W 442 - ankle and pocket
Kahr PM9 - pocket and custom OWB

I've long since ditched the XDs...thick, high bore center, good reliability, supertuck is a good IWB, but carrying a thick clunky pistol IWB isn't very comfortable.

Ive carried the 442 in the pocket for years and on the ankle for DEEP concealment. Great gun, fantastic reliability but on the marginal side for firepower. 5 rounds of +p with 300 ft lbs??? Way better than nothing.

The 30 is a badass gun and my favorite pistol hands down. IWB its too thick and heavy. In the winter with shoulder rig, its great, but might as well carry the 20 in the shoulder rig.

My Kahr PM9 is my favorite carry gun. Since buying it I have hardly carried anything else. Its sooo easy to grab and stuff in the pocket (holster of course). You can be wearing a pair of shorts and a wife beater in the summer and its no problem at all. I have a custom high ride OWB for it that makes it even more comfortable. With Winchester PDX1 124gr ammo, it hits over 1200fps. 6+1 on tap, extremely reliable. Stainless blackened slide resists corrosion very well. I can barely think of a reason to carry anything else!....... The Glock 20 with two spare mags in the shoulder rig gives you a full size pistol with 46 rounds if 700+ ft lb ammo on tap though...gotta love that!

+1<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mildot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the Glock 17's also, for concealed carry it is hard to beat a Glock 1I9 if you can wear a holster, for pocket carry a 642 Smith.

The 19 is easily concealable, very manageable in size while still having a full grip, good magazine capacity, easy to maintain and reliable.

The 642 is reliable, lightweight, easily carried in a pocket, low maintenance and pretty dust and pocket lint proof.

Of all the handguns I have cariied over the years those are my favorites.

</div></div>

Normally a glock 19 or 26, in a M-Tac IWB. Although I am tossing the idea of a 380 being it is hot as hell down here right now. I might even start carrying the S&W Bodyguard 38 part time.

Over the years I've decided only to re-decide that I'd found the perfect off duty piece only to recently come to the realization that I kinda like them all! Now the circumstances dictate what I carry; weather, time of day (do I want my night sights), and will I need to tuck are factors that I consider before I "get dressed". In my safe you'll find my Airweight S&W J-frame in .38+P, a G27, and my new favorite a 3" GP100 .357. These pull summer duty and with an in-the-pants I've found comfort and concealability are well managed. In the cooler months when I can get away with a jacket I usually opt for my Sig 229 .40 or my full-size 1911.

I feel the need to give all my girls a little attention!
wink.gif
And yes, the box of holsters in my closet is quite rediculous.

Les Baer 1911
Sig P220
S&W J-frame

All three with IWB holsters. All three reliable. I don't carry the 1911 very much due to surface rust when carried. (The rust drives me crazy)
I'm 50/50 carrying the Sig and J-frame.

For me the P220 is an ideal CCW, .45 platform.
-Reliable
-Thin profile
-Extremely rust resistant
-Light weight for a .45
-First round DA trigger pull to SA

The S&W J-frame is great with shorts and t-shirt attire.
-Reliable
-Light weight
-Rust resistant
-DA trigger

Guns I have carried:

Springfield 1911 too heavy

Bersa.380 IWB very comfortable did'nt feel like it was
quite enough stopping power

Kahr E9 all steel frame great shooting gun just heavy
for long periods of carry

XD Tactical 9mm I carry this gun when hiking side holster.

S&W 642 +P rounds I absolutely love this gun its very functional and hardly know its there

I've carried 4" Security Six and GP100, S&W 5906, 3913, 4506, Glock 19, Kimber Desert Warrior, and full size and compact M&Ps, along with J-frames in steel and alloy, and a Ruger SP101.

The Glock 19 is about the perfect balance of size, capacity, and "shootability". That being said, I'm currently using the M&P in full size (usually) and sometimes a compact since I'm issued one and required to use only it on duty.

S&W 340PD in a pocket holster. 12 extra in Bianchi speed strips in other pocket.

I have a sig 220carry and it disappears usually in a milt sparks vm2. I wear pants and a long sleeve shirt year around so that helps. I have lately had to start wearing underwear and buying my pants a size bigger though (I think my gun needs to go on a diet...)

I've carried a G29 (10mm), Kahr PM40, and Kimber Ultra CDP II (3" 1911). I carry the Kahr PM40 when I'm wearing athletic shorts and light weight clothes. It truely is an easy carry weapon.
If I'm wearing any shorts or pants that have a belt (90% of the time), I'm carrying my G29 in a Blade Tech Nano IWB holster. You can't beat a 10mm for the size.
And with both I always carry an extra mag in my pocket.
I like 1911's, but I don't like the safety, since I often forget to "click" it off with my thumb. I'm just used to Glocks, so I sold it to carry the G29.

CZ75.....carry it daily with a Crossbreed with shorts, belt and t-shirt.

B.

I wear board shorts, t-shirts and flip flops most times. If I can't drop it in a pocket, it isn't getting carried. I've carried 1911's, compact and sub compact glocks, a sig 239, and an airweight smith. I'm now just carrying an lcp which has proven plenty reliable. The larger stuff just wasn't getting carried because of the inconvenience.

If I am going to carry more, it will be my g27, but any concealable glock will do.

quick question for the Glock crowd ..
is the weapon "Hot"
I carried a Glock 30SF but being the clumsy sob I am and not having a safety , I was afraid of shooting my bawls off drawing the dang thing so I left the pipe empty ,kinda defeating the quick ready concept..
so I sold it & carrying a WC 1911 now..

The Glock-Safe Action Pistol, as it is technically known has redundancies built into it to reduce the chance of unintentional discharges. Get a holster that covers the trigger guard and you'll sleep better knowing your balls are safe
smile.gif
Pistols that are designed to be carried with a round in the chamber will usually have a firing pin block that doesn't fall out of the way until the trigger is pulled.

In my opinion carrying your weapon without a round in the chamber is silly as when it hits the fan you'll only have fractions of a second to react. Of course WC 1911 that you've since gone to is a mighty fine choice in weaponry
wink.gif

I saw a video of a guy with the gun not loaded getting robbed and shot a number of times.
The Glock is fine for carrying one in the pipe put it in a holster carry it its a great gun.

Ruger LCP carry weapon with shorts and Tshirt
Glock 26
Glock 19

I have two guns that I like to carry depending on the circumstances. I like to carry either my springfield xd sc .40 or my Ruger SP 101 .357. If its hot I normally op for the SP 101 with a IWB holster. When its cooler I'll do OWB for with my xd and a loose flannel shirt.
I feel if you don't have a round in the chamber there's no use carrying especially if you need it in a pinch.
It's nice to carry a fullsize, but when are you going to be shooting over 20 yds in self defense?

Carry guns that I have owned or own:

LCP
PPK
Kimber Solo

I have a G19, but it's too much to carry for me.

Here are my guns I carry:

FNP .45 Tactical- carried in a Raven concealment IWB while outside during winter months. Also carried in a blackhawk drop leg while camping/ hunting.

Sig P220 Carry .45 SAS Gen 2 - carried in a Crossbreed supertuck for most situations.

Sig P238- carried in a desantis IWB or a galco ankle holster year round.

The FNP is too big for most situations, and the P238 doesn't have my full trust in its stopping power, but I like all of them. I will probably aquire a compact 9mm soon too; maybe a EMP or some other single stack.

Guns I've carried:

Kimber Desert Warrior in SERPA strong-side retention holster
Sig P225 in DeSantis Kydex IWB holster
Kel-Tec PF9 in loose pocket carry (Condition 3)
S&W 360 Sc .357 in rear no-name IWB leather holster
Kimber RCP in Galco IWB leather holster
Kimber RCP in pocket holster carry

Quite frankly, pocket carry is damn near the ideal carry method. Fast, convenient, cheap, and you're always going to have it on you. I've found that there's far less corrosion while inside the pocket (just gotta clean out the lint from time to time), and printing while bending over isn't an issue. I can carry to the beach, while backpacking, or doing pretty much anything other than swimming. And it doesn't cause spinal discomfort like my S&W was causing from strong-side IWB carry behind the kidney; after a year or two of IWB carry, my back was giving me incredible pain - within a week of switching to pocket carry, the problem was gone.

The only real downside lies in effective handgun size and capacity. A 3" 1911 is still giving a total of 8 rounds of .45 ACP, and a spare magazine fits into the integral magazine pocket in my pants. I can certainly shoot a Government Model far better than an Officer's, but for practical daily carry the weight and comfort penalties outweigh the improved precision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Morgan711</div><div class="ubbcode-body">quick question for the Glock crowd ..
is the weapon "Hot"
I carried a Glock 30SF but being the clumsy sob I am and not having a safety , I was afraid of shooting my bawls off drawing the dang thing so I left the pipe empty ,kinda defeating the quick ready concept..
so I sold it & carrying a WC 1911 now.. </div></div>
I carry all my weapons HOT. If you handle the weapon properly, you won't have to worry about it.

Quick story- Somewhere there is a video of a store owner getting shot by a robber. A robber walks in (I think it was a jewelery store in FL) and points a gun at an employee. The owner is standing across the room and draws his 1911, and should be able to get the first shot off by several seconds. The owner forgets to take the safety off his 1911, and is seen struggling to take a shot. The owner is jerking the gun trying to get it to go off, and the robber now sees him and shoots him. The owner dies, and the robber flees. The next day I put my 1911 up for sale. When we would have IDPA BUG matches (back up gun), several times I would draw my 3" Kimber, and forget to take the safety off and try to shoot it. I tried to disipline myself to disengage the safety, but when shooting IDPA and if the SHTF, I didn't want to forget to take the safety off. I am so used to shooting Glocks, it was near impossible to retrain. So I now shoot all Glock type pistols with no safety.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">polish P64 stored in my delta force rucksack</div></div>

rucksack or fanny pack ?</div></div>

delta force rucksack is a euphamism for my prison purse

I carry a Glock 26 in the appendix position nearly 24/7. With a decent holster, your balls are safe.

I've carried the following,

Colt Govmt. .45acp
S&W 15 4" .38 sp
S&W 4516 .45acp
S&W 65 .357 mag 3"
S&W 442 .38sp
S&W 640-1 .357 mag
Glock 17,19,26,23,21
Browning Hi-Power 9mm
Sig 239 9mm

I have settled on these,

Glock 19 in a VM-II or OGL custom high ride OWB
Glock 26 in a VM-II or OGL custom high ride OWB or RKBA pocket holster
S&W 640-1 in a RKBA pocket holster

This is what works for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">polish P64 stored in my delta force rucksack</div></div>

rucksack or fanny pack ?</div></div>

delta force rucksack is a euphamism for my prison purse</div></div>

Ah, I see what you did there.

Sounds uncomfortable.
wink.gif

Anything besides a glock. Love glocks, but carrying one is near impossible to conceal. I used to carry the 26 but never again.

Glock 19 for me. I carry it and conceal it easily. I mainly carry it because it is reliable and I shoot it well. It is also light and after some time I darn near forget I'm wearing it.

I have carried just about everything and have hopefully settled on the S&W M&P sub-compact. It's all a mater of personal prefference as long as your gun goes boom reliably

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eckm87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything besides a glock. Love glocks, but carrying one is near impossible to conceal. I used to carry the 26 but never again. </div></div>
That's the easiest of Glocks to carry. It almost disappears. I carry a G29 IWB dialy.

Daily Glock17 or 19 (sometimes both)
Occasionally a 34

Have carried:
G27
G21

I've simplified things down to 9mm caliber wise. G21 was pushing the limits of comfort, G27 easy, 1911 easy due to slimness.

I don't have a belly so I can conceal just about any standard full sized frame pretty easily via appendix carry. The holster can make a difference as well. A good quality gun belt is a must. AIWB takes a little getting used to but that's my preferred method, and most comfortable to me year round.

If you have a gut, appendix carry won't work well as the rear of the frame and grip get pushed out and you'll print big time- unless you have a chest bigger than your gut. Being too skinny with hardly any chest can also cause printing for AIWB.