• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Carry Permit process

scullti

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
Hartland, CT
Been on the edge for awhile for finally getting my permit, and it seems with the Obama regime underway I best take the plunge soon. I've seen a few 1 day courses around, which is probably all I have time for anyway. Do you guys know how long it takes to get the permit after you've completed the process? I'm sure that around here at least there is a long background check process that could take practically a month before you finally get the permit.

Re: Carry Permit process

Check the New England hometown forums on ARFCOM. They just were talking about the backlog that CT is dealing with.

I thought all you needed was the 2nd Amendment. What does the Right to keep and bear arms mean? You mean you need something else? I thought we were living in the USA? I figured if I filled out the 4473 that is all I needed. Just kidding I am fearful the law will smack my behind too.

I suggest you move to idaho, here all you need is a hunter safety course and within two months you have your permit.
I have had my permit for two years now and have used it once to stop a could be crime. Some dude tried to enter my car until he saw the gun, he quickly changed his mind on a what could have been mugging.

Problem in Ct on permits is that you first need to get a town permit and then a State permit. Each town sets its own agenda with regard to wait... per State regs they have to issue within 8 weeks or state why they are denying....we live in a "may issue State"...

In Florida, if a veteran you need a DD 214, if honarably discharged, (Forgive me I have the form misidentified as I am a civilian), or a background check as well as a finger print card, passport photo, and either a safe hunter certification or completion of an approved concealed hangun class with a cashiers or bank check for $150.00. Include this with the application and 90 days is the statutory requirement for issuance. They are backlogged like a mufu here so it takes a little longer.

Our permit has a great deal of reciprocity with the other free states though is tits on a bull in the northeast except in one Shining beacon of freedom in that region: the Granite State!

Thanks for the input guys. As a follow up, once I get the permit I want to get a reliable carry/self-defense gun that's also fun to plink with occasionally (in other words, I want it to be pretty accurate). I'm thinking either a USP or a Sig 226, opinions?

On a side bar for the FL ccw. If you live out of state you may apply for a Fl ccw. It is through the dept of Agriculture. fingerprints, pasport photo, application, and a copy of your ccw class. Send a check and you will get your card. It does have a great amt of reciprocity, and is nice if you travel throughout the Atlantic seaboard, and the east. Ill try to get the web address tomorrow. db

ghillie,
I'm also a fellow resident of CT that is waiting for my pistol permit. After getting all the paperwork together, fingerprints, birth certificate, notarization of forms, my current wait time has been approximately 10 weeks. Last week a detective from my local PD called to set-up a time where I could interview. With talking to other CT residents, the interview is not a state requirement, but just an extra step that my particular PD undertakes to attempt to weed out applicants.

There are several threads discussing wait times on ARFcom. I've heard of permits taking anywhere from the standard 8 weeks to as long as 6 months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">With talking to other CT residents, the interview is not a state requirement, but just an extra step that my particular PD undertakes to attempt to weed out applicants.</span></div></div>

Then why are you going?.
confused.gif

If it's not state law.........he should have no clue you have a permit.

Unless it's a part of the state agreement to give locals that right.

If they do not have the right to interview you.......F'em.
Do not go.

<span style="font-weight: bold">They should have no right to deny you...............if they do, then their needs to be a suit filed.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">None of their business</span>....................since when is a local LE, QUALIFIED to interview, and give pernmission to a state mandated law?.

Local cities/Muni's cannot overide state law.

I bought a property in Montanna nearly 2 yers ago now. I made contact with the local LE and was he great to be honest. I provided the docuements he requested all over email.. He had the course setp up for me when I wen there the first time ) Im not a US citizen).... This guy is fucking great.He encouraged me to get the CCW... and made all the calls for me........

Im now the proud ownner of 2 * Russian 7.62 *39 AK's that this guy procured for me and has kept for me in is buds gun shop at NO charge...

Love this guy

The municipalities in this state take great latitude in their observance of State law. Cities like to f**k with people and can take months. I know people who have waited 4 months for a town permit. A good friend and former US military MP went to the local State Police for his permit application and spent 30-40 minutes explaining to the highway patrol cop WHY he needed a gun in his home. He was not intimidated and continued the process....CT is a "may issue" State...

I have a SIG 229 in .357 SIG, with the DAO set up. I got it "slightly" used for $350.00. Stainless with night sights and three mags. I am a fan but would like to replace the action with a lighter DAO trigger system or DA/SA. Even planned on visiting the factory last summer for that purpose while in NH but spent a couple extra days in the mountains.

It'll keep. It's not a 226 of course; shorter slide as I prefer a more easily concealed pistol. Can't speak to the HK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Two Shoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">With talking to other CT residents, the interview is not a state requirement, but just an extra step that my particular PD undertakes to attempt to weed out applicants.</span></div></div>

Then why are you going?.
confused.gif

If it's not state law.........he should have no clue you have a permit.

Unless it's a part of the state agreement to give locals that right.

If they do not have the right to interview you.......F'em.
Do not go.

<span style="font-weight: bold">They should have no right to deny you...............if they do, then their needs to be a suit filed.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">None of their business</span>....................since when is a local LE, QUALIFIED to interview, and give pernmission to a state mandated law?.

Local cities/Muni's cannot overide state law. </div></div>

I agree with the fact that compliance with an in-person interview is not a state requirement. However, as others have stated, the local PDs here in CT take great latitude in determining the criteria in which they approve local carry permits. Do I agree with the fact that I have to interview? Absolutely not. Is it fair? No. The only reason I'm going in is that I don't want to have to be denied for a local permit. If I were denied, I would have to file an appeal with the Department of Public Safety, which could take several more months and more paperwork. Not really a situation I would like to deal with.