• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Longshot38

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2009
Montgomery, TX
Just looking for some thoughts. I'm looking to retire my 1911 from carry duty. So I've been looking for a compact .45ACP pistol to replace it with. The only thing that I will not purchase is a Glock. While Glock makes a great product I'm just not a fan. But the things I have been looking at are:

S&W M&P 45c
XDM 45 compact
Taurus 24/7 3.5inch 12 round

Re: Carry pistol

If you like 1911 get a compact version like a commander?

I would not go with Taurus Ive had a few last one was a 45LC it blew up, Ive had a Millennium it would not cycle, But i do own a full size PT 1911 but its a stainless and was a custom build from Taurus to replace the 45LC that blew up i did not buy it.

I have not messed with the Springfield, my brother-in law has one he is a Sheriff in Cali, he likes it very, very much but i do not like the grip on it, the M&P is my choice of the 3, if i had to choose between the 3.

i have a little bit of a bigger hand so the XD compact even with the mag extection doesn't work out. the M&P fits me better. that's just me. I love Glock but don't own one because the grip angle, cant hit a barn but give me a 1911 or a M9, you can shave the sights on it under 25 yards. so it may be different for you on the list of 3, all except the Taurus are winners, but im sure others will feel differently.

The M&Ps are nice guns. They function and feel great in my hand at least. S&W customer service is excellent if you ever run into an issue. I don’t personally own the .45c but a friend does, I have shot it on several occasions and enjoyed it. I own the M&P .40 and .40c. Great guns.
Alot of people XD's, I personally dont. I feel like I have a brick in my hand when I shoot them. And I would flat out stay away from Taurus.

The XD and M&P are both great choices. Since they are both good guns, the real test is to shoot both back to back and see which one you like better!

Kimber Ultra Compact 2 is light weight and I can conceal it really well. Since you are already used to a 1911, it'd make sence to stick to what your used to for this purpose. Although I will agree that waking up and eating the same breakfast every day would get old tho I guess.

Thanks for the input guys. I have looked at the EMPs and if they would only make them in 45 I'd consider one. On the same note Springfield, Rock Island, and few others smaller 1911 designs in 45. And they look interesting.

As for sticking with a 1911 design I see your point and agree with it. But what I'm looking for in my next carry piece is lighter and more compact. While I can easily conceal my current government model w/ a IWB holster and a belt in most of daily attire . It is a bit large and heavy to carry in deep concealment or when wearing more leisurely attire. Thus my interest in plastic guns.

I looked at that but the price of the magazines is why that idea didn't go very far. I don't mind paying for quality but $50+ a mag is little excessive. Then again HK is excessively proud of all their products.

I didn't see this listed but I think Kahr makes a very nice product, their Tp45 is light and thin with similar capacity to what you are carrying. I have had a few of them over the years and liked them very much, except the trigger took a bit of getting used to, it is long with a long reset. Also mine didn't care much for reloads. I think Kahr makes a solid carry gun.

ETA: I would stay away from Taurus products, quality is spotty and customer service is a joke. I know some who swear by them, but when I had them I swore at them.