• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Carrying Concealed (how do you do it ?)

paraman1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2003
Boise , Idaho
I have carried concealed off and on for about 6 years . The biggest problem I have is that when I try and move my Compact 1911 into an IWB holster for the summer my pants fit so tight I can barely breathe and I wind up reverting back to my pocket .22 or don't carry at all . During the winter I carry OWB as a coat covers it up no problem .

Anyone else have the same issue ? Do I just need to ppny up and buy some clothes with a larger waistline for summer or am I just missing something ?

Re: Carrying Concealed (how do you do it ?)

I think the answer is a larger size waistband. You have to figure your adding at least one inch (probably more) to your waistline. I recently started carrying, and have found the most comfort with one pant size larger than I would normally wear. I carry a gen 4 G23 IWB in a "Comptac Minotaur" holster. If I wear the same rig in my normal jeans I end up in the same situation as you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShooterMcGavin33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the answer is a larger size waistband. You have to figure your adding at least one inch (probably more) to your waistline. I recently started carrying, and have found the most comfort with one pant size larger than I would normally wear. I carry a gen 4 G23 IWB in a "Comptac Minotaur" holster. If I wear the same rig in my normal jeans I end up in the same situation as you. </div></div>

My pants are 2" too big, and I bought a Galco TR225 IWB kydex holster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone else have the same issue ?</div></div>

Nope, I carry my 642 in my pocket summer or winter. Never have to change or forget how I'm carrying.

I use a Crossbread IWB with a full size handgun. Works great. You do have to be buying clothes that allow for such carry.

+1 for Crossbreed. Seems to work well for both summer and winter. I too have gotten looser waist bands as I've replaced clothes over the last 4 years. Of course if one has a tendency to gain an inch or two over time, this strategy might not work too well
wink.gif
i havent really changed in size in the time ive been carrying so that has worked. But seriously, it sounds like the summer pants need more slack in the waist.

Another +1 on the Crossbreed. I carry a full size XDm.

Getting you pants one size too big will help. I've had good luck with pants that have expanding waistbands.

Firstly, I don't do Crossbreed holsters. They're flimsy and not up to the purpose to which they're put.

If you don't want to do IWB in the summer, and you think that your build and clothes are up to it, try a rigid holster configured like this in horsehide:

http://www.ritchieholsters.com/catalog/p-100016/cqqr-sweat-shield

I use an original Alessi in the same configuration (less the sweat shield) with a S&W 3913 for occasional summer use where I can't get away easily with a fuller-size pistol.

Crossbreed is big and bulky compared to the Comptac Mtac, extra leather where its not necessary. Very similar to the Crossbreed, just more comfortable in my experience. To say a crossbreed is flimsy or not up the the purpose however is a little off base. They may not fit your style of carry but flimsy they are not.

Crossbreed supertuck with horsehide for my g19.

Its a thinner leather than the Comptac Mtac, so its more low profile. And if you dont like the extra leather on the peripheral you can trim it with a medical sheers.

Also the horsehide is a more comfortable backing than cowhide in my opinion.

My wife has a Pink P380 in a Crossbreed microclip, also horsehide.

In my opinion they are the best IWB holsters Ive ever seen/used.

+1 on the bigger pants, it helps a lot. I IWB a Glock 26 at 4 o clock

I just wear a collared shirt untucked roll the sleeves up in the summer, roll em' down in the winter. But you could always try your prison purse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IdahoMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just wear a collared shirt untucked roll the sleeves up in the summer, roll em' down in the winter. But you could always try your prison purse. </div></div>
Hey the maxpedition man bag works great!

I'm one of those weirdos that like appendix carry in an archangle holster. I where it with most all of my clothes, except when I need to dress in business atire (use an ankle holster then). I use a larger belt and buy most of my pants/jeans/shorts 1-2 inches big and am very comfortable.

I have the comptac MTAC holder which is full leather back side and kydex outside that can be changed out for different guns. It also has kydex clips that can be changed out to whatever style you like. I use it IWB for my Glock 26 at 4 o'clock and I forget I'm wearing it all the time its so comfortable.

Either go to a larger size on the pants or you will have to change what you use to carry it in...

go a bit bigger on the pants and i like a simply rugged sourdough pancake with iwb straps. in 5'8" 200 lbs and you would never know i got a full size 1911 on me in jeans and a tshirt.

Inside coat pocket - Ruger LCP or S&W 642 Revolver.

If I want to carry a big gun I carry it open or use an in the pants holster.

I carry OWB at 4-5 o'clock, but I usually carry revolvers. Lately though, I've been carrying my P3AT in a pocket holster. Not a fan of IWB carry unless it's something thin like a 1911.

+1 IdahoMike. I am a tall thin fella. I can barely find pants that fit correct in the waist in the first place. The correct waist size for me is 31. Damn near nobody offers this. So I usually end up with 32s. Which works out great with my IWB holster (crossbreed) but causes and overlap near the button when I cinch my belt down for my OWB setup. Anyhow, for me I wear my IWB right at the 3 oclock position. Which keeps my waist tight. The further I move it around the backside, my waist gains a little slack. Maybe this is an option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Firstly, I don't do Crossbreed holsters. They're flimsy and not up to the purpose to which they're put.

If you don't want to do IWB in the summer, and you think that your build and clothes are up to it, try a rigid holster configured like this in horsehide:

http://www.ritchieholsters.com/catalog/p-100016/cqqr-sweat-shield

I use an original Alessi in the same configuration (less the sweat shield) with a S&W 3913 for occasional summer use where I can't get away easily with a fuller-size pistol. </div></div>

Agreed- Either go larger waste band for IWB or darker / patterned shirts, untucked with something like above, or like the second one down here:
http://www.mitchrosen.com/new_products/new_products.html

as described above works well when you have a body type with a smaller waist and/or larger shoulders. If you're fat however, forget about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone else have the same issue ?</div></div>

Nope, I carry my 642 in my pocket summer or winter. Never have to change or forget how I'm carrying. </div></div>

Good answer! It used to be my 442, but now it's a Kahr PM9. In the winter months, I also often carry my Glock 20 or 21 in an Alessi shoulder rig. 46 rounds of full-power 10mm oughtta get it done...

Taurus TCP in a Desantis fits all my pockets, every day, anywhere. Millenimum 40 ISWB is close second but harder to get out with my build. The S&W 642 Aero is a nice jacket pocket choice if the wife isn't out and about with it...

Crossbreed Super Tuck and +1 on the pants maybe 2 depending on the cut all i wear are wranglers. Also don't forget the good belt!

Become Bulimic and after about a week you'll get to keep your clothes and your holsters will fit... win win

Galco Skyops IWB holster and a Sig P-220. Extra large long sleeved shirts in the winter and golf shirts summer. everything is well hidden

Crossbreed is what I use. I've carried several different guns, but my Kahr 9mms are what I carry the most often because they are so thin.

I pocket carry a S&W 340pd. Never matters what season it is or what I wear.

k9g

While pocket carry may work for some I am slightly neurotic about things in my pocket . I don't like my car keys or wide pocket knives even in my pocket . My wife quit buying me Swiss army knives as they all just went in a drawer .

I have been trying to carry my commander sized 1911 in a holster similar to the Mitch Rosen Premier carried with the pistol just aft of my hip bone .

Looks like I am gonna have to spring for some slightly larger pants and see how that works .

I carry like the Air Marshal does on "Brides Maids". I use 90 MPH tape though.

Michael,

You live in the land of Milt Sparks, no need to look further!

In all honesty, their stuff has worked really well for me for years, I'd give them a hard look and get an order in the works.

Good luck, and be safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apollo11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Michael,

You live in the land of Milt Sparks, no need to look further!

In all honesty, their stuff has worked really well for me for years, I'd give them a hard look and get an order in the works.

Good luck, and be safe. </div></div>

I have used the VM2 and the summer special both and neither worked any better for me . Unfortunately for me even though I know several guys who work at Milt Sparks I still have to go through the same call in process as everyone else . The last time I did that it cost me about 300 dollars in lost time at work
wink.gif

I don`t have a problem carrying a FS semi auto IWB, and I also don`t do SkinnyJeans.

Full size Les Baer in a Tucker Gun Leather OWB. Covered with a light weight fleece jacket. (I am in Texas)But I have a comp tac I use in the summer when I do wear short sleeve tee shirts. I did go to buying one size bigger pants and it is a world better.

Crossbreed supertuck with G19, recently i adjusted the ride height of the holster, 'made it higher' as i always had trouble getting my wallet out when i carried. I think that just due to the cut of my wranglers. But adjusting the ride height has made it even better, and +1 on waistband size too!

Definately one size bigger in the waste and for the sake of your back as well as presentation from the holster, buy yourself a good belt.

Carried a full size Kimber for years in one of these for years. Not the greatest holster IMO, but it gets the job done.

I have also carried the Glock 30Sf and Smith m&ps in both full size and compact versions in the Comptac Minotaur and have been very happy with it.

When it is chillier out and I am wearing a jacket, I carry in an RCS phantom. Great holster but the wait time really sucks.

You need to get a size bigger as said, the holster I use is a Milt Sparks VMII, cant say enough good things about it. Best money I have ever spent.

One thing I will say, I used to go commando all the time, but after carrying in these hot Ca summer, I have learned underwear is your friend, because it keeps your leg from getting a bit of a rash from the leather holster.

I use a supertuck to carry a sig 220 .45 or my xdm compact 9mm.

I pocket carry a keltec P32 in a pocket holster and occasionally a s&w 442 in a nemesis pocket holster (my favs).

~Norinco

I get the inside the waistband kydex holster. I think its called a ghost.... but Ill check on it.

I normally wear a 36 in the waist but I normally always buy my everyday work pants and "tactical" pants in a 38. Its just nice to have the extra room

G19 Iwb or rohrbaugh 9 in the front pocket

Currently a 3" Kimber 1911 OWB under a short sleeve button up shirt..

Thinking of shedding several pounds and getting a Ruger or S&W 380 and just sticking it in my back pocket...

Parker

"Sideguard" leather IWB holster, maybe one pant size up from normal.XD 40 subcompact.