• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Cartridge capacity?

duke308

Keeper of the List
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
Mid Atlantic Region
Is there a scientific reason there are no popular cases with a capacity of around 60 grains of water? The .223 is 31.4 gr, .22-250 is 44.6 gr.308 is 53.5 gr, .30-06 is 68.0 gr, and .300 WM is 90.4 gr according to one chart I am looking at. Why no case with 60 grains it should be flatter and faster than the .308 without the kick of the .30-06. I was wondering, I am looking at building an F class rifle for 500-100 yards, and want more than a .308 but don't want a mag.

Re: Cartridge capacity?

284 Win is right in that area isn't it? IIRC it's about 62 or so?

That's supposed to be a dynamite F class round, JLK has a 180 Long BT VLD that claims a BC = .735, yes, .735

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Twist for the JLK? </div></div>

9'er

FWIW, there's been some discussion recently about "why nobody made a 30-284 or a 338-284"

A VERY VERY close version of the 30-284 is the 7.5x55 Swiss. It's a dynamite round, and those mil-surp k31 rifles are hammers when you get the load right.

I've been chastised for saying they're identical, they're not, however, if all you want to do is neck, load and shoot, it's easily possible because that's how I turn 284 brass into 7.5 brass.

What I've seen of K-31's, they don't have a very long throat, so bullets seem to work better being seated pretty short. Some work best seated all the way down to where the ogive meets the mouth.

Not your basic average rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I've seen of K-31's, they don't have a very long throat, so bullets seem to work better being seated pretty short. Some work best seated all the way down to where the ogive meets the mouth.

Not your basic average rifle. </div></div>

I've owned 3, mine all had VERY short throats. I never tried a VLD through them, but in order to shoot the 180's they all liked I had to seat them VERY short.

I agree they're not the norm, but they're also not your basic mil-surp accuracy either, when you get them working they shoot very well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kombar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">8x57, 7.5x54 MAS, and 7.62x54R are about 60gr water. </div></div>

Which is particularly interesting because the 7x57 is a GREAT round, and I've seen some 54R's that shoot like the Dickens but it still lets you know it's there with the recoil.