• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cartridge Choice Help

Steve_O

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2020
Just ordered a MPA Matrix chassis that will be the foundation for my long range out to a mile fun rifle and to take on a Elk hunt if or when I ever get the chance to go. Can’t decide what cartridge/caliber to choose. 28 Nosler has been my go to choice so far but also looking at the 300 PRC, 300 WM cartridges in that wheelhouse. 28 Nosler seems very accurate, good with the wind with possibly less recoil but brass is very expensive but I would have to pay to play. 300 PRC seems like a great option also because of the bullet choices in 30 cal but brass availability is limited as well as factory ammo. 300 WM brass is more available as well as factory ammo if need be. Iam open to other choices but these stand out to me at the moment especially the 28 Nosler. Thanks for the suggestions.

6.5 Creedmoor will kill an elk at any ethical hunting range, and will easily bang steel out to a mile.

Or, if you’re absolutely set on a magnum, the 6.5prc has everything you need and want.

Custom Hunting rifle makers are building more 6.5prc than anything right now.

Had the same situation this time last year. 28 nosler wasn't an option but I was looking at 6.5PRC, 300WM, 300PRC. Settled between the two sizes with a 280AI.

6.5 Creedmoor will kill an elk at any ethical hunting range, and will easily bang steel out to a mile.

Or, if you’re absolutely set on a magnum, the 6.5prc has everything you need and want.

Custom Hunting rifle makers are building more 6.5prc than anything right now.

I have a Tikka in 6.5 CM already. Just want to build a Magnum since I don’t have one at the moment. My MPA chassis for this new build is a long action.

Just another nobody with my 2 cents of opinion but of the things you mentioned the 300 PRC would get my vote.

the standard SAAMI chamber dimensions are pert near perfect and with the giant bullet option list (like the 250 A-tips or several other 225+ grain options) it’s hard to go wrong. I’ve shot 6.5’s, 7’s, 30’s, 338’s, and 375’s out to and passed a mile and in my experience there is just something “easy” about shooting a big 30. Easy to shoot all day, easy to load for.

Luckily you can’t make a bad choice with the cartridges you’re looking at - I personally would go 300 PRC with no hesitation.

Just another nobody with my 2 cents of opinion but of the things you mentioned the 300 PRC would get my vote.

the standard SAAMI chamber dimensions are pert near perfect and with the giant bullet option list (like the 250 A-tips or several other 225+ grain options) it’s hard to go wrong. I’ve shot 6.5’s, 7’s, 30’s, 338’s, and 375’s out to and passed a mile and in my experience there is just something “easy” about shooting a big 30. Easy to shoot all day, easy to load for.

Luckily you can’t make a bad choice with the cartridges you’re looking at - I personally would go 300 PRC with no hesitation.

If I go the 300 PRC route should I be concerned with only Hornady offering factory ammo and not many brass manufacturers making it?

I’m personally not worried about it. With the DoD using it, I know it’s not going anywhere anytime soon. Hornady is the low hanging fruit for getting brass but now ADG and Lapua are making it as well.

Ive shot the 225gr factory load and it does shoot quite well but since you can hand load I wouldn’t be too concerned on components. The list of manufacturers will only grow I think

To beat a 28 Nosler throated for 195's ballistically, you need to go to a long-throated 300 RUM or Norma Improved, with at least 220lrht's. 225 eld-m's have been hard to find, but the 230 and 250 AMAX's are still around - albeit more expensive.