• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cartridge feeding issues?

fdavidparker

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2012
Morning, I'm running into an issue where my 300 WSM cartridge will not feed from the magazine to the chamber. It will stick at angle. (Note: the oal used gets me .005 off the lands and the bolt closes easily when the cartridge is inserted directly into the chamber.) The gun is a GAP with mini chassis and detachable mags. Many thanks for any thoughts.

Re: Cartridge feeding issues?

Are you using AI mags? Have your magazines been modified?

It sounds like the feed lips are too long.

Thanks. Yes-AI mags. Although I received them from the rifle maker, I believe the mags were modified

Can you take some pictures at different stages of the cycle and post them?

In every WSM/AI magazine application we've done, we've not needed to alter the length of the feedlips.

Here's what's happening:

You have a short/fat cartridge. The entry angle into the breech is steep. This causes the ass end of the case to drop below the face of the bolt. The feeding malfunction results.

Solution:

Alter the entry angle and/or increase the amount of case overlap with the bolt face.

One way to do this is to WIDEN the feedlips of the AI magazine. There's various ways to do this. I made my own tool by taking an old machnist parallel, cutting it in half, and TIG welding it to a pair of needle nose vice grips. This way I can alter the width across the length of the feedlip without beating the piss out of it.

You want the width wide enough to allow the case to come up further, without going so far that it pops out when the magazine is fully gassed up. How much is a sort of a guess as the hardness of various magazines seems to vary a bit.

Once you get the case up far enough, it'll relieve the extreme entry angle and the cases should run much smoother.

just be a bit cautious because as you widen the lips the magazine essentially gets "taller"-meaning its closer to the bolt and could possibly start riding on the bottom of the bolt body. This makes the action feel like garbage.

Good luck and hope this helped.

C.

You nailed it. I now see the problem you are describing. Thanks to you both.
(BTW -- I'm still working on how to post pics but have one that shows just the issue c. dixon describes.)

Below are two pictures showing the feed problems. The top picture shows the jam.

IMG_0484_zps1ced9d8e.jpg

IMG_0483_zps4765bc69.jpg