• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cartridge OAL to long on Rem 5R?

Bunnyblaster

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Southern IL
I've been searching around and found some pretty good info. I measured the chamber on my 5R last night....then measured again.....and again. It came out to right at 2.900". After doing some research on here, that seems normal for a Remmy action. I planned on doing a ladder test tomorrow, and loaded up some rounds with 4064, but after seeing so many people with OAL around 2.810", I'm wondering if I should seat the bullets in deeper. Right now, they're in new Nosler brass, and its not leaving much area to grip the bullet with a OAL of 2.900"

So I guess my questions are

A. If I start the test at this OAL, will the lack of tension around the bullet be a major factor? I forgot the exact measurement of the Nosler brass, but it was just under 2".

and B. With some of the cases having more air space between the powder and the bullet, will that create high pressures? I've started the ladder at 35.5 g 4064 and loaded up to 42.5 for the first go around.

Re: Cartridge OAL to long on Rem 5R?

2.810" OAL is because plenty of guys are running ammo out of the factory mag box and that is pretty much as long as you can go.

AICS magazine you can run OAL at 2.860" without issue.

A) I would load to an OAL that will allow you to run rds from magazine system you have. 2.810" for factory Rem mag box, 2.860" for AICS mags.

B) Short of jamming bullet into lands, extra air space will reduce pressure.

I like to ladder at standard length 2.800-2.820. After I find the sweet spot for that length, I run a 2nd ladder around that load off the lands. My rifles all shoot classic loads very accurately and I can load these standard rounds in mass.

I've been bitten before by loading rifle-specific rounds and getting the itch to take a different gun out when the weekend came.

My rifles seem to require 0.2-0.5 gr more powder to achieve optimum accuracy when loading longer than standard.

Sounds good. The dummy round I put together at 2.900 seemed to load ok from the internal mag. I'll run a couple ladder's tomorrow and see what I come up with.

My biggest concern was making sure I wasn't going to blow my face off. Its not the greatest in the world, but I've grown attached to it.

Single round in mag is above the mag box. You won't be able to fully load factory mag box with an OAL longer then 2.810".

With the Rem. 5R there really isn't much reason to load past 2.81. Also slightly compressed loads will decrease powder shift in the cartridge. I've shot both 165 gr. Accubonds and 175 gr. Berger OTMs quite well with the same OAL.

Thanks for the info guys. I didn't even think about fitting in the mag further down. I'll seat those bullets down further tonight.

like McCourt said, if you load them long the pressures usually go down (until you hit the lands), if you load them shorter than the reloading data (if you are going by a book) OAL then you will normally have higher pressures.

I just worked a load for my Rem 700. The way I approached it was to start with a reference point. In my case I used FGMM 175 SMK. Measured it up, headspace, OAL, Ogive, etc. Started my powder work-up, and chrono. Once you identify the sweet spot, fine tune by tenths. Then with that load, start working with your bullet seating. The max being limited by your mag. I think you will find with that rifle somewhere between 2.828 and 2.860 will be you sweet spot.

Good luck, have fun, I'm curios to see your results!