• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cartridge Selection Help Requested

mjphawk

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2013
Boynton Beach, FL
I am new to posting on the forum but I have been reading for a while. I am looking to get into the world long range shooting and have been researching. My basic goals / parameters are:

• Would like to potentially shoot paper out to 1,000 yards (assuming I can even find a range)
• 99% of the time I expect to be shooting inside of 500 yards
• More important than max range is the ability to be highly precise at ranges I will typically shoot
• I do not reload my own ammo (yet)
• Cost is not an insignificant factor (budget of $2,000 for rifle full set-up)
• I would prefer choose a cartridge that is readily available
• The gun will occasionally be used for hunting deer/pig, but most likely inside of 200-250 yards

Below is a chart I put together by running a variety of loads through a ballistics program and comparing what I believe to be the most important data points for my criteria. When available I selected Federal Gold Medal Match with Sierra MatchKing, but that is not offered in all calibers. Fusion seemed to be available for all cartridges I was considering so I used it as a direct point of comparison.

In the chart below I grayed out those which clearly would not perform to my specifications. I highlighted in yellow those rounds which appeared to be the top performers.

I am leaning toward .308. I know it is not the most efficient round out there and performance out to 1,000 is questionable it is cheap to shoot (which means more practice), has low recoil, and possibly most importantly has the widest variety of firearm selection in my budget range. A direct compare of the worse performing (.308) and the best (7mm Rem Mag) had a significant difference in vertical drop (129 in) but what seems to be a moderate difference in horizontal deflection for wind (24 in @ 10mph).

I would appreciate any additional input on factors I might not have considered or if any of my thought process is flawed. Thank you.

I know the topic may seem a little basic, but I did spend quite a bit of time using the search function and other internet based searches before posting. Any input on potential flaws in my thought process or assumptions which I made which are not realistic would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure you may hear lots of input from others, but I'm also equally sure that most will recommend a .308 for your stated uses. Everything you state as what you want can be done with the .308, plus the availability of .308 is the best of any of those you listed, plus it is a great all around caliber in any case. Then, if you get tired of that and want something else in a couple years, there's a good market for them. 1000 is a decent range for the .308 if you use the right ammunition, I.E. 175s or 178s and those are both available in good factory match loads, plus a number of good aftermarket loads.

Pull the trigger, so to speak, and don't look back. You're going to have fun.

As to ranges where you can shoot, find the thread in ELR which list a bunch of extended ranges throughout the U.S. It's not complete, but it's a great start.

Nevermind. Here's the link:
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...5651-list-shooting-ranges-over-500-yards.html

I fully acknowledge the value of "get a 308 first" mindset.

BUT

The other option you have not considered is a factory Savage target/precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmore.

Savage rifles are GTG right of the box
They are relatively inexpensive
the 6.5 kicks the 308's ass past 600 with LESS recoil
Hornady factory match ammo is outstanding and costs around $23 a box - kicking the ass of Federal GM.

djskit, I agree with you wholeheartedly and am not of the "get a 308 first" mindset ( I shoot and regularly recommend a .260 or 6.5 Creed). I was answering a specific question asked by the OP. He gave a specific list of choices and nowhere did I see any 6.5 choices. Since he was obviously focused on the larger, read as .30 caliber range choices, I answered exactly as he asked. But I figured that someone would go ahead and start the ball rolling on calibers other than he asked about, so all is fine.

Cartridge Selection Help Requested

Thanks for the input from both of you. Glad to hear I wasn't missing anything in what I was considering for the .308.

I don't anticipate hunting big game at very long range (yet) so I might have to go back and consider the 6.5 Creedmore. The offerings in variety of rifles seems to be a little more limited but the ballistics (on paper) seem to be on par with some of the magnum rounds.

I fear this will not be the only long range rifle I build, just the first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tikka t3 CTR in .260 or the Savage is what I'd be looking at. Vortex, SS, Weaver for the glass, and bipod. As you gain some experience, save up for a chassis for it like an XRay.

BC on the 6.5's are bit better.

"If I had it to do over" that is.

I would have to ask when someone starts bringing up the 6.5... are you taking rifle upkeep costs into account?..

Won't the barrel life be far shorter with the 6.5 vs. the 308?.. will the learning curve to remain highly accurate with the 6.5 in reloading be an easy task for a first long range rifle?.. I have more questions to add than answers on the subject but they could be things to keep in mind..