• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cartridge suggestions?

Bungi

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2012
I have a bunch of components for 308 win, including large rifle primers and powder. My powders include IMR 4064, Varget & Reloder 15.

I was wondering if there might be a smaller/faster and lighter recoiling cartridge, which could use some of the components that I already have on hand?

Most importantly, I would like the cartridge to use large rifle primers.

And hopefully use a powder that also works in 308.

I would also want it to be a short action cartridge.

Can anyone think of a cartridge that would fit these parameters?

Or am I being unrealistic?

I would simply use the cartridge/rifle for target shooting -- preferably out to 1000 yds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 338dude
I have a bunch of components for 308 win, including large rifle primers and powder. My powders include IMR 4064, Varget & Reloder 15.

I was wondering if there might be a smaller/faster and lighter recoiling cartridge, which could use some of the components that I already have on hand?

I would simply use the cartridge/rifle for target shooting -- preferably out to 1000 yds.
Could you clarify which components you’d like to use versus which ones you wouldn’t mind shelving?

If you’re sticking with the 308 bullets and brass, for example, then the only thing you can do is load lighter charge weights. I think what you’re staying though is that mainly you want to reuse powder and primers, are there other components you’re also trying to prioritize?

Sorry for any confusion.

I was hoping to be able to use the same primers and the same powders

I would buy new brass and bullets and dies

End up with a flatter lower-recoiling cartridge

I have not used 155s in my 308

Do you like those bullets?

Are you referring to the Lapua 155's?

Why would you not try a lighter bullet before changing cartridges?
155's work well for many people

I have an AT and was thinking of ordering a barrel in a new chamber

But good suggestion, Xcount -- Thanks

Try a lighter bullet, but you might struggle to get to 1000 yards. The bullet will get there, but it’s at a major ballistic disadvantage compared to other options.

Honestly since you have Varget I’d say look at a 6mm, or perhaps a 6.5mm running the 130 ELDM. Those 6mm rounds are serviceable out to 1000 yards and beyond, and you can get LRP brass in various chamberings. 6mm CM is an option but it’s a bit of a barrel-burner.

Believe it or not, I really want to get into the 22BR cartridge running the 88gr ELDM. It’s much cheaper per round compared to my 6.5CM or the popular 6mm rounds, gives up a little bit to the 6mm ballistically but it’s cheaper with less recoil, so I’m happy to pay that price. And 88gr ELDM bullets are easier to find since every competitor and their grandparents are always on the prowl for the most popular 6mm bullets.

Sorry for any confusion.

I was hoping to be able to use the same primers and the same powders

I would buy new brass and bullets and dies

End up with a flatter lower-recoiling cartridge
You can buy a lot of 155's for the price of a new AI barrel, dies, brass. Shoot more and the recoil will become nothing

Try a lighter bullet, but you might struggle to get to 1000 yards. The bullet will get there, but it’s at a major ballistic disadvantage compared to other options.

Honestly since you have Varget I’d say look at a 6mm, or perhaps a 6.5mm running the 130 ELDM. Those 6mm rounds are serviceable out to 1000 yards and beyond, and you can get LRP brass in various chamberings. 6mm CM is an option but it’s a bit of a barrel-burner.

Believe it or not, I really want to get into the 22BR cartridge running the 88gr ELDM. It’s much cheaper per round compared to my 6.5CM or the popular 6mm rounds, gives up a little bit to the 6mm ballistically but it’s cheaper with less recoil, so I’m happy to pay that price. And 88gr ELDM bullets are easier to find since every competitor and their grandparents are always on the prowl for the most popular 6mm bullets.
The 22BR is interesting.

Also the 22 creedmoor and the 224 valkyrie

I think to do what I am wanting, I will just have to start hunting for different powder -- hopefully not for primers (ugh)

Thanks

The 22BR is interesting.

Also the 22 creedmoor and the 224 valkyrie

I think to do what I am wanting, I will just have to start hunting for different powder -- hopefully not for primers (ugh)

Thanks
I run RL16 in my 6.5CM and was delighted to discover that folks run that in the 22BR as well. I know that doesn’t fix your problem immediately, but Varget is like powdered gold these days. I would be awfully surprised if you couldn’t find a trade for it.

Primers might be a slightly tougher trade, but not impossible. Look around and see if you can either find or make a LRP option though, you might be surprised.

large primers throws out a bunch of good candidates
Just make it bigger 🤔

2020-03-10-use-a-drill-final-clean-00-01-57-10-still053-1584632505.jpg

A favorite of mine is the long lost 6mm Remington. Uses Varget in bullets up to 107 grains. Also has loads listed for IMR 4064. Get a fast twist barrel. Uses large primers. A big step down from the .308 in terms of recoil but equal or better long range performance.

Hodgdon Data for 6mm Remington

Reactions: beavis1971
6.5x47, but the primer struggle will be real.

6.5CM with lighter bullets also.

6mm remington looks very interesting -- But it seems like it may be "long lost" as you say

I love 308 -- have three rifles in 308 -- Just considering a different cartridge for a new barrel

Thanks all

Not sure what direction you are going, and a new rifle is always exciting. But if you want to re-home your Varget powder, I will try to work a trade or buy your Varget outright at an attractive price for you. Message me if interested. Good luck in your search.

6.5 Swede with 120gr Noslers.

My short list for a large rifle primer, 308 bolt face, lower recoiling 1000 yard cartridge would be:

6 Creed
6XC
25 Creed
6.5 Creed

Top of the list would be faster/flatter, bottom of the list heavier recoil but better barrel life.

Another vote for .224 Valkyrie. I converted a Salvage .223 with a new barrel and bolt head. I shoot the 88 gr ELDs with Varget and they are quite impressive and extremely accurate !

Last edited:
Similar to the 6mm Rem, .how 'bout a 243. Lots of 4064 and RL-15 loads. Trading Varget should be a no brainer.

Dave

If you're saying 4350 bc it's what you already have, makes a ton of sense. But if you're up for powder shopping and just looking for a stable, slow powder I'd recommend RL23, H4831SC, H1000, RL26, etc.

RL23 is supposed to burn really cool. I use it in my 6Creed pushing DTACs at 3K. It should be a longer barrel life (for the Creed) at 2850.

Rifle is a Pre-SFP AIAT so SRPs aren't in the cards at the moment. Interested in a super light recoiling 6mm and thought slowing down the 6CM might scratch that itch for now.

currently have 24ish-lbs of 4350, plenty of LRP, and a fairly fresh 6CM bbl.. also shoot DTACs @ 3K in my last 6CM load. If memory serves me correctly, I was looking at 2850 for target velocity - not not sure if that was with the 105Bergers (have a few of those too). I need to dig up that post that gave me this idea. Was it you in the 6CM reloading thread?

Thanks for the powder recommendations, will save for later! I see a lot of those come up regularly, just gotta be quick.

But 6 Creed at 2850 is probably what you're looking for.

This^^^ I've been running my 6CM like this (~2850-2900fps) and it's been awesome. It's sort of like a Dasher without needing mag kits or Varget. LRP and/or SRP brass is a go.

...and, doesn't have to be a barrel-burner... by running kind of "slow" and using a healthy jump (~0.080" - 0.100" off the lands): I've lost only 0.006" off the throat over my last 1000 rounds (Proof SS competition contour 7.5T 26"), and with 1600rds on it, it is still shooting better than .5moa. Guys shooting 6CM ~3100fps and seating right up on the lands are cooking off more than that in a weekend.

Reactions: impactaddict