• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case and Custom Cut Dense Foam - Where?

Monk Medic

Rifleman. Soli Deo gloria.
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2018
Maine
Hello, looking for a solid transport case with custom cut dense foam like in photo. For AI AX50.

Suggestions on manufacturer and vendor please.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 4BEFEE90-CC48-44EA-A826-2ED9366628BE.png
    4BEFEE90-CC48-44EA-A826-2ED9366628BE.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 282
Not sure where to order custom cut. but you can BUY a $40-50 wire foam cutter and make cut your own. I used the one at my work to cut the foam for my AR10 case. Not as good as a pro shop but it turned out very nice.

Reactions: Monk Medic
Thanks gents. Lots of goodness there!
Really do appreciate the prompt replies!

Jebus Christy! $1200 for a custom cut foam case. I can destroy lots of foam and figure out how to cut ONE good one for a fraction of that with a $50 foam cutter.

Jebus Christy! $1200 for a custom cut foam case. I can destroy lots of foam and figure out how to cut ONE good one for a fraction of that with a $50 foam cutter.
I used a hot wire foam cutter to cut some pelican case foam. It cut well, but the fumes were unbearable. I was outside and got sloppy toward the end because the fumes were so bad. Tried scalpels and razor knives with poor results.
A cheap electric turkey carving knife from walmart was the answer. $20 well spent.
Remember to flip the foam upside down and trace your patterns with a sharpie ( mirror image of layout you want). Then use the carving knife to cut. Marking the mirror image on the back will ensure there are no lines showing on the top.
Works great and is easy.

Reactions: kthomas
I have a thread in the Equipment forums that would have helped with the fumes. Just Saying.

Don't know if polyethylene, or polyurethane foam meet your requirement, but if they do you can try Cobra Foam Inserts, they can either use your own foam, or you can buy from them.

Get a sheet of closed cell foam from amazon for $40 or grab the entire insert kit (2x large pieces and 2x thin liners) from Patriot Cases for $85 and cut it yourself. If you use a silver marker, you can wipe it off with an alcohol wipe so you don’t have to flip the foam or worry about the offset (too much) as you go. I used a long blade utility knife and a straight edge but I have used the electric knife method in the past with great results.

Best method I found was to do a rough trace with a black marker and then get a straight edge and clean it up with a silver or white marker. You don’t have to go crazy on the small angle details and by being less form fitting angles, it ends up looking a lot cleaner.

When it comes to foam, the dense closed cell foam is the only way to go and you won’t be disappointed.

Reactions: RS14
Get a sheet of closed cell foam from amazon for $40 or grab the entire insert kit (2x large pieces and 2x thin liners) from Patriot Cases for $85 and cut it yourself. If you use a silver marker, you can wipe it off with an alcohol wipe so you don’t have to flip the foam or worry about the offset (too much) as you go. I used a long blade utility knife and a straight edge but I have used the electric knife method in the past with great results.

Best method I found was to do a rough trace with a black marker and then get a straight edge and clean it up with a silver or white marker. You don’t have to go crazy on the small angle details and by being less form fitting angles, it ends up looking a lot cleaner.

When it comes to foam, the dense closed cell foam is the only way to go and you won’t be disappointed.
Yes. Like this. Just finished mine tonite. Left space for a can and a Kestrel. Cut the top layer with a sharp filet knife.
0F590F61-D106-461F-AA59-577E39329A57.jpeg

I’ve had Carolina Custom Foam do custom foam for Pelican 1750’s and they did a fantastic job. You take a couple photos and fill in some measurements and they send you a brand new insert, so you still have your original one for swapping out if you want. Cost was about $125, if I remember right.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Dont forget the quarter sized or so half rounds on each side of items so your fingers can easily grab items.
lol that was a learning moment after I cut the closed cell foam for the bolt. Having only worked with the soft standard case for, I was like “shit, I can’t actually grab my bolt out of the foam now” lol.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Cutting your own foam isn't too hard. I'd recommend using Kaizen if you can get it or a High Load Bearing (HLB) foam if not. If you can't be bothered though, maybe get in touch with a foam converter. Looks like this place advertises custom case foam inserts. Others probably do the same.

I've heard Shadow Foam is brilliant for this.
Their Easy Peel is perfect for placement - pretty sure their Easy Peel Foam fits into Peli, Nuprol etc cases.

My apologies i'm not trying to sell - i'm quite new to this.

Screenshot-2019-12-06-at-14.46.44.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
When i got my rpr i was looking at a precut case from i think caseclub, but i decided on a pelican and an electric carving knife instead. Actually got 2 pelican cases for the cost of one precut case.

I've heard Shadow Foam is brilliant for this.
Their Easy Peel is perfect for placement - pretty sure their Easy Peel Foam fits into Peli, Nuprol etc cases.

View attachment 7646892
If you're going to post your products for sale:

1. Upgrade your account to a commercial account please.

2. Post in the Vendor portion of the PX.

Due to the time difference, I will give you 24hrs to respond (it's late where you are).

Last edited:
If you're going to post your products for sale:

1. Upgrade your account to a commercial account please.

2. Post in the Vendor portion of the PX.

Due to the time difference, I will give you 24hrs to respond (it's late where you are).
they're not my products - nor am i trying to sell them.
It's more around the discussion.

I used them for my Pelican case and it came out just fine. I took pics laid out on rolled graph paper but found that stuff is crap...pretty much all of it...and error accumulated across the 50-something inches of the rifle OAL. So, I just measured with a tape and put the dimensions on the paper and took a pic that way.

Came out very nicely.

they're not my products - nor am i trying to sell them.
It's more around the discussion.
THen I would suggest you remove the link. People can go Google the name if they are interested. You're walking a fine line...