• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case Annealing Machine Plans

Raven 6

Minuteman
Oct 29, 2006
Blue Ridge
I would like to build one of these machines to anneal .308 and .300 Win Mag brass. Does anyone have plans and drawings to build one of these.

Re: Case Annealing Machine Plans

got two tops off benchrest i think had been waterjetted look good try to find out for sure and let you know

I enjoy building and machining my own things as well, but after looking seriousy into building an annealing machine and figuring the cost to make a nice one, I shelled out the coin for the Ken Light model http://www.kenlightmfg.com/products.html
scroll to the bottom of the page. These are very nicely made and work the best. Well worth the money when you factor time, motor, materials and a product with the bugs already worked out.

Your right the Ken Light machine is very nice but, I don't like the idea of buying a disk for differant size cases. And we have a new Mazak Mill that needs a little government work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triple 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your right the Ken Light machine is very nice but, I don't like the idea of buying a disk for differant size cases. And we have a new Mazak Mill that needs a little government work. </div></div>

with the new mazak, why would you be buying different top plates? make them. there is very little machine work with the other one listed. the main part will most likely be waterjet, laser or plasma cut. the rest of it looks very simple. if you are looking for a machining project and want to make an annealing machine, a ken light style machine would be the way to go.

also, take a look at this thread: link. jay is a good guy and would probably share his drawings if you asked. i am going to build one one of these days based on his drawings. i modified the drawings a bit to make the machine a bit smaller in diameter so i can fit it in my machine with one setup.

Thanks guys, I will ask Jay for his drawings. But if I can't get them I think I have seen several good designs that I can incorporate into something that will work for me. Just need to figure out the motor, I don't know shit about how electric motors work.

jay has the part number for the 1 rpm gear driven motor that he used. it looks very simple.

If anybody want to approach the motor a bit differently I'll tell you what I did to mine.

I use a GM wiper motor, I found out how the delay signal works, and now I can infinitely control the delay time, from no delay (I think it runs about 15 rpm) to 12 seconds delay. The only problem is that the motor contacts the "plate" too hard and knocks cases over. I'm currently working on getting a different drive system figured out to soften the impact, or impact in a different way. If I can that done that will be a much cheaper source for the drive motor and it'd be continuously variable. I think there is also a way t slow the motor down (high speed and low speed for the wipers) but I've tried unsuccessfully how to figure that one out. A wiring diagram sure would help. Btw, I got the motor from the junk yard for free. The rest of my wiring and controls cost about $5. The aluminum "plate" was water jetted by a friend for free (including material).

Don't take this wrong or in a negative manner. But I'm curious why you would want to go to all the trouble/effort of building or buying an expensive annealing machine. It's an item you don't use very often. And you can get a simple Hornady annealing kit for $40 that will do almost all cases. It's an item you don't use that much, and there are far easier, less expensive options. Anyways, just curious.

Chad

An annealing machine will give you better consistency than doing it by hand.

I would ask why anyone would spend $40 for the Hornady kit when you can make the same with $3 worth of pumbing parts. You could make a functional annealing machine for $40 and a few hours labor. They really aren't that hard to make. Something can be thrown together in an afternoon using hand tools and scrounged parts/material. It doesn't have to be fancy and it doesn't have to be machined to do the job. That just makes it look nicer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An annealing machine will give you better consistency than doing it by hand.</div></div>

When you say more consistant, how is it more consistant?
With the Hornady kit, you paint the temperature paint on the case and heat the case up. The brass is spinning in the case holder which is chucked into a cordless drill. When you reach the correct temperature the paint melts, and you dump it into a water bucket. The paint tells me the case reached the correct temp and you don't have to worry about over heating the case, which often happens when annealing without the paint. This to me is as consistant as you can get.
On the rotating plate, how do you know you get the correct temp and not over/under heat the case?

The machine is exposing it to the flame for the same amount of time for each case, to the same location in the flame each time and to the same location on the case.

You can use that paint when setting things up if you're worried. Set the machine at a high speed and keep dropping it down till the paint melts. After that, it should all be nice and consistent for that given batch of brass.