• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

case capacity of 338 lapua ackley improved

bward

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 22, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    How many grains of water should a 338 lapua ackley improved case hold? How does this compare to a 338 lapua?

Re: case capacity of 338 lapua ackley improved

If you are talking about a 338 Lapua improved with a 40degree shoulder mine are 125.5-126 water grains which is about a 10% increase over the standard case.

FWIW, the 338 Lapua case pushed out to 40degrees gives one of the bigger gains of all the different cases improved but after talking to Dave Kiff of PTG I'm not sure I would go the full 40degree shoulder again. Dave, as well as others believe believe anything over 37.5 degrees is counter productive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: samson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Dave, as well as others believe believe anything over 37.5 degrees is counter productive.

</div></div>

I believe Parker Ackley had a different opinion.

I like 40 degrees in mine, but its a single shot so I do not worry about feeding from a magazine.

JeffVN

I have no feeding issues whatsoever with my 338 Imp. from Seekins magazines.

I believe mine is a touch over 130 grains, I get about a 12% case capacity increase.

How are you getting 130 + water grains ?????

Measured mine the other day an was only getting about 123.5 to 124 grains of H20. I'm assuming this is still within the norm??