• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Case for 50"+ rifle?

Andrevski762

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2012
Central Texas
Hi all,
I've been lurking for a bit and all the info here is great. I'm an avid shooter though am only just now getting into the precision bolt gun game. I am putting together a Savage 110 FCP .338 LM and I plan on using a McMillan A series (not yet decided but leaning A3-5 or A5) stock. I will be using the stock barrel and muzzlebrake.

Now, my question. For those of you shooting these big guns, what cases/drag bags are you using? Savage lists the size of the gun with the HS stock as 49.5" long (gun gets here monday so have yet to verify). I am 6'5" so when I order the McMillan I am probably going to have it made a little longer than the standard LOP, so I'm just guessing the gun will be in the 50-55" range. This is annoying, as most bags say "handles guns up to 50" in length".

I found an earlier thread that lead me to Delta Outdoorsman and a Voodoo bag that seems to fit my needs. I have also come across an Eagle case, though they seem hard if not impossible to come by. What other choices are there out there for me? I'm not going to kick it around a lot playing sniper, I just need a case for transport and I like the pockets on drag bags. I want it to last, but I won't be abusing it and probably won't actually drag it that much and as such I'd rather not break the bank on this.

I just want to hear what you more experienced shooters are using and what you like for your extra long guns.

Thanks all!

Re: Case for 50"+ rifle?

I've had the same dilemma for a .338 I'm building.

However, 50-55" is a big swing/difference in OAL as a lot of the better options out there will accommodate up to a 51" OAL. IMO, once you go beyond that is where you start to run into limited options due to length.
So you might want to research if you can live with and added 1.5" of LOP on the Mcmillan vs the HS stock before purchasing a bag (if even that much would be added to fit your preferences). It sounds like your leaning towards a drag bag vs hard case (ie pelican/storm) I think you'll find that many members on this site would recommend the Tactical Operations bag (Liberty Optics is a site vendor) or the Eagle, which you already mentioned.
Triad Tactical offers this one:
http://www.triadtactical.com/Extra-Long-HSRC-Drag-Bag-Olive-Drab.html
For some longer setups.

Impact Case & Container is heavy gauge aluminum with dense closed cell foam :

http://icc-case.com/

case.jpg

Seen a lot at the olympic shooting events, good for shipping.

The AIM Field Sports bag is pretty hard to beat IMO. I did a lot of research for a bag in the 55-57" range and that one has a lot of good reviews.

AIM 60

AccurateShooter.com - AIM 60

Gun Mart - AIM 60

Not only that, but I sold my Eagle Drag bag and bought a VooDoo drag bag. This may seem like the backwards way to roll (Eagle seems to get higher reviews for quality)...but there is NOTHING the Eagle offered, that the VooDoo doesn't, with one exception.
Eagle had a removable divider (to separate 2 guns) and the VooDoo case has the same, but it is NOT removable. Makes absolutely no difference, since even with only one rifle, the divider doesn't need to be taken out.
Since the Eagle in 3 color desert was 3x the cost of my VooDoo in Multicam. I'm VERY happy with it and I'll continue to buy their gear.

The Eberlestock(sp?) McMillan Drag bag is for rifles up to 52" IIRC.

I have one and tote my .308 in it, its a solid bag with a flip out panel that will let it be used as a shooting mat in a pinch.

AS

I also have the MidwayUSA bag for my Sako TRG 42 and it's a great bag when Midway has it on sale.

I have a shotgun that is over 56" long. I'm interested to see if there are any options out in regards to a case.

The shotgun (bolt action 12ga) is a Marlin Model 55 Goose Gun w/ 36" barrel, OAL 56 3/4"...