• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case Gauge Recommendations

planalpha

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2010
PNW
I'm switching to 260 and getting all new dies, etc. But I need a new case gauge and was looking for recommendations. Midway has a LE Wilson 260 chamber gauge for $26 but wanted to check here first before buying anything and see what you all thought. What are you using for 260?

Thanks!

I'm switching to 260 and getting all new dies, etc. But I need a new case gauge and was looking for recommendations. Midway has a LE Wilson 260 chamber gauge for $26 but wanted to check here first before buying anything and see what you all thought. What are you using for 260?

Thanks!

Forget the drop in gages and get yourself the Hornady/Stoney Point headspace gage set.

I have about 10 drop in gages from Dillon and LE Wilson and while they're an OK indicator of case length, they don't tell you in a precise manner, how to set up your sizing dies.

Go with the Hornady HS gages and never have to 'guess' where your sizing die should be set up.

Sinclair also makes an example, so check them out, before you buy.

Chris

Forget the drop in gages and get yourself the Hornady/Stoney Point headspace gage set.

I have about 10 drop in gages from Dillon and LE Wilson and while they're an OK indicator of case length, they don't tell you in a precise manner, how to set up your sizing dies.

Go with the Hornady HS gages and never have to 'guess' where your sizing die should be set up.

Sinclair also makes an example, so check them out, before you buy.

Chris

I agree with Chris, I also have a few of the Wilson style drop in gauges. They do work, but they are an estimate on where your die is set at bumping the shoulder. With a Hornady headspace/bump set onto a caliper (I prefer a digital caliper,but a dial works fine) you get to see the exact number at what your shoulder bump is set at. It is more precise than the Wilson gauge.

I use the Hornady set and bought some of the newer Sinclair bump inserts. After using both, I lean toward a preference to the Hornady set, even though they are aluminum and the Sinclair set is steel. If I were to be buying only one set, I would buy the Hornady set.

The advantage to the Hornady set compared to the Wilson style is the Hornady set will work with over a score of cartridge calibers, where the Wilson will work only within one family of cartridges. If you wanted Wilson style gauge for 308 Win., 30/06 and 223 Rem., you would have to buy 3 gauges @ $26.00 ea. With the Hornady set @ $40.00 or so, you can measure a whole lot of calibers.

Reactions: rybern