• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case head separation?

bllistc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2019
Seeing a faint line near the case head of some of my brass. I stuck a bent paperclip down inside and didn’t feel any difference from unfurled virgin brass.

Attachments

• B0991C02-F495-42BC-BD32-A46A6ABACE04.jpeg
    B0991C02-F495-42BC-BD32-A46A6ABACE04.jpeg
    387.3 KB · Views: 102
I'm trying to look close and see if that is where your reszing die is stopping....but my OCD is concentrating on those gouges in the neck...

Ya, the shoulders are taking a beating for some reason. Looks normal, the line is probably from your last resizing efforts. Most of mine look similar prior to cleaning/polishing but very faint after tumbling.

I think you will split your necks...before you seperate the head....maybe on the next firing.

I'm trying to look close and see if that is where your reszing die is stopping....but my OCD is concentrating on those gouges in the neck...
😂 😂

Usually a separation occurs above that visible line location.
Those look like die or chamber marks.

is the rifle a gasser?

OCD boy is triggered on the marks you action is putting on the necks from ejection.

Reactions: b2lee

These were fired out of my LMT MWS. Always get those marks on the case necks for my .308 brass.

Thanks for the replies guys. Been a bit OCD myself cus I just started losing for 6.5 CM.

Seeing a faint line near the case head of some of my brass. I stuck a bent paperclip down inside and didn’t feel any difference from unfurled virgin brass.

Well if you didn't feel ANYTHING, then it's not likely any kind of case head separation issue. Though the more distinct a case head separation line looks the more you can feel it with a paperclip (I too use a paperclip to determine the state of case head separation). To me your pic doesn't quite look like it either as the line seem kinda low and might be where your sizing die ends its sizing process. Any brass I've had that had case head separation occurring had lines higher than that. . . . like this:

casehead separation.jpg

Reactions: bllistc
Take a caliper and measure above and below that line. Does the left pc have the same amount of firings on it? I think that line is the back end of your chamber.

Here’s an example of the ghost ring. Not quite 3/4” up on this 308 case. M1As can be a little rough on brass.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: bllistc
I feel like that is from your die. I would also ask if possibly you use the Sinclair Concentricity Gauge. It leaves a ring right around head separation area from the bearing balls that it rotates on when checking TIR. But both of these items ring out a fair distance below where head separation occurs.