• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case head seperation 260

Trapshooter12

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2009
Nevada
I had a case head pull off today. I had finally got my new batch of cases and was in the process of shooting the few remaining rounds I had so I could junk them. I knew I was getting close to pushing it to far.

I missed my target and it just didn't sound right and when I pulled the bolt back all I saw was the base. After I got home I called the local gun stores to see if they had any case extractors and none of them did.

So I came up with the idea of using a 30 caliber brush and pushed it into the neck and gave it a slight twist as I was pulling back out and wallah I had the broken case out. I was kind of stressing over this since the Rifle only has about 200 rounds through it.

Loose headspace? Had this on a rifle, it was off .003, I think. Total headspace was about.007. Was getting popped primers and the case web was bugled, never completely separated though. Could be worth looking into. I used a trick an old timer shared with me. Take a sized piece of brass, measure overall length to the closest .001, place a "USED" primer in it just pushed in far enough to hold in place by hand. Chamber, close the bolt, unchamber and remeasure. I did this several times and I was way over spec. As I barrel up Savages, I now check with this method after using go/no-go gauges.

It cases that were reloaded to many times. I had about 10 to 12 reloads on these cases.

The biggest point I wanted to share was that you might not need a shell extractor to pull your broken cases out. Using a larger caliber brush in the neck to pull on the case.

That's good to know about using a large bore brush to remove a stuck case.

The other question I'm interested to know is out of your 10-12 reloads of the cases, when you (if you do) F/L resize, do you use a bump gauge to measure the bump the shoulders -.001" / .002", or what method did you use to set up your F/L die to the rifle?

Thanks.