• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case Lube Procedure

Re: Case Lube Procedure

For .223 and .308, I cut the tops off of 9mm and .45 reloading ammo plastic box things (they're only 1.99/2.99 or so at most stores). These hold the .223 and .308 casings better than any factory brand reloading block I've seen so far and they're less than half the cost. I load up to 100 cases in them and then squirt RCBS spray lube once or twice from each side of it, let them dry for a few and then run them through the resizer.

Imperial sizing die wax works well. A cheaper lube is Grease Auto and Artillery GAA (milsurp grease) and Grease Aircraft Wide Temp Range WTR. I just touch it with tip of trigger finger, transfer it to thumb and rub fingers on all vertical surfaces. If you can feel it is slick that is all you need. If you can see it leaving finger prints you probably have too much.

If case shoulder starts showing signs of inward movement you have too much grease on case. One touch of the grease is enough for maybe three/four cases depending on caliber.

A 2 lb can of GAA will most likely last you about 20,000 rounds. Both of the military greases are synthetic.

Another description if you live in cold country you probably use CARMEX as a lip moisturizer in winter. About same amount on case you put on lips.

Ahhh I don't think I would kiss the cases ! ! ! ! !

I buy a 4oz bottle of liquid lanolin, and a 16oz bottle of 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Mix them, dump into a spray bottle. Dump brass into a gallon size ziplock spray, jostle, spray, jostle, spray, close the bag and jostle/massage for a minute. Dump the brass out into a small pail, wait 5 minutes, begin sizing.

I've sized 5000 cases this way, and have enough lube left to do 10k more - at least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some imperial wax on a finger and thumb. </div></div>

That works for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I buy a 4oz bottle of liquid lanolin, and a 16oz bottle of 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Mix them, dump into a spray bottle. Dump brass into a gallon size ziplock spray, jostle, spray, jostle, spray, close the bag and jostle/massage for a minute. Dump the brass out into a small pail, wait 5 minutes, begin sizing.

I've sized 5000 cases this way, and have enough lube left to do 10k more - at least. </div></div>

How do you clean the lube from the inside of the necks, given some inevitably gets in there? I've been using the (slow) rub imperial wax on each case but would like to speed things up by doing batch lubrication. Downside is I don't want to then lose time gained by spending hours using q-tips to clean the lube from the inside of the neck.

Guess I could put cases upside down in a loading block before spraying, regardless of the spray lube used?

Hornady One-Shot. Set em' in a block and spray away. You can tumble afterwards if you like but I just wipe them off one at a time as I remove them from the press.

The Frankfort Arsenal spray lube from Midway has treated me pretty well so far. I lay all the cases out on a cookie sheet, spray, roll them around, and spray again lightly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr Scholl</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I buy a 4oz bottle of liquid lanolin, and a 16oz bottle of 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Mix them, dump into a spray bottle. Dump brass into a gallon size ziplock spray, jostle, spray, jostle, spray, close the bag and jostle/massage for a minute. Dump the brass out into a small pail, wait 5 minutes, begin sizing.

I've sized 5000 cases this way, and have enough lube left to do 10k more - at least. </div></div>

How do you clean the lube from the inside of the necks, given some inevitably gets in there? I've been using the (slow) rub imperial wax on each case but would like to speed things up by doing batch lubrication. Downside is I don't want to then lose time gained by spending hours using q-tips to clean the lube from the inside of the neck.

Guess I could put cases upside down in a loading block before spraying, regardless of the spray lube used? </div></div>

I tumble with stainless - both before and after sizing, so it comes out squeaky
clean.

I think its pretty important to lube the inside of the neck to stress/work the brass as little as possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr Scholl</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I buy a 4oz bottle of liquid lanolin, and a 16oz bottle of 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Mix them, dump into a spray bottle. Dump brass into a gallon size ziplock spray, jostle, spray, jostle, spray, close the bag and jostle/massage for a minute. Dump the brass out into a small pail, wait 5 minutes, begin sizing.

Guess I could put cases upside down in a loading block before spraying, regardless of the spray lube used? </div></div>

I tumble with stainless - both before and after sizing, so it comes out squeaky
clean.

I think its pretty important to lube the inside of the neck to stress/work the brass as little as possible. </div></div>

I use a lee collet die for sizing, so there is no sizing button to pull out through the neck, therefore no stress on the neck walls that way. I'm more concerned about effects the lube may have on powder contamination and neck tension during bullet seating. Is it a problem if a lube like one-shot stays inside the case for powdering and bullet seating, or should it all be cleaned out prior?

Dillon and RCBS spray lubes are simply lanolin/alcohol, and they claim lube residue has zero effect on powder/primer.

Not sure on the formulation of the hornady one-shot, but know they also claim zero effect.

Haven't tested it out. I'm inclined to believe, but just don't feel right letting it stay. I always clean after lubing/sizing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some imperial wax on a finger and thumb. </div></div>
What he said...

Works great!
Use an old T-Shirt and wipe off any excess after your done with brass prep and the cases stay shiney...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some imperial wax on a finger and thumb. </div></div>
What he said...

Works great!
Use an old T-Shirt and wipe off any excess after your done with brass prep and the cases stay shiney... </div></div>
This has worked for me for 29 years. Yes I have tried lube pads and spray lube. The fastest way bar none to perfectly lube a case without overlubing or underlubing is a finger and thumb with ISDW. Pick the case up and roll it on its way to the shellholder...viola.

+1
Then I have my two sons wipe it off.
smile.gif

Throw a few hand fulls of cases in a large zip lock bag to cover the bottom, shake well and spray with Hornady One Shot, roll them around, give another quick spray and dump into a box and repeat.

I do hundreds in no time at all and have never had a stuck case in the years and thousands of cases I have been using this method. The secret is letting them sit for about a minute after being sprayed so the propellants will evaporate.

No need to remove One Shot either although I toss the cases in the tumbler for about 20-30 minutes. Here's a little video I did for a friend. No big production value but it gives you an idea of what I posted above.

I use an RCBS lube pad with Imperial wax on it. That's what I've found works for me so far.

This....<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some imperial wax on a finger and thumb. </div></div>

"I would like to know your case lubing technique prior to sizing. I'm trying to fine one that I like."

It's certain you will like to lube before sizing, not afterwards!
wink.gif

Imperial is a wax, it doesn't work very well on a lube pad, use yer fingers.

I put all of my brass in a tray and spray away with Hornady One Shot. Works well for me.

Everything on the market works well IF it's used correctly.

Stuck cases SUCK, and after that I was so anal about lube I used too much and it was denting my cases.

When reloading I wear latex gloves my daughter brings home from work. So I just put my fingers on the lube pad every now and then and when I pick up the case to put it in the shell holder, I just kinda swirl it around. That seems to have fixed both of my self induced problems.
eek.gif

I have yet to see One Shot dent a case, have a stuck case, or have any issues what so ever, it helps with inside and outside sizing. It's better than anything..

I've stuck several with the "One Shot"......and yes the instructions were followed, and several thousand other cases never were stuck using the spray,.......

However, since using the imperial wax and getting a "feel" for how much needs to go on, I am more found of this method and feel that I am just as efficient as I was with the spray lubes.

In addition, I don't feel that I need to tumble the brass again after sizing, I can simply wipe them off, as each case gets handled anyway.

1Ge

I like Ballistol the best by far. Lay your cases in a cardboard box and spray a light coat. Roll around to coat,size and and then wipe off. Couldn't be better.

I use and like kiwi mink oil. Its easy to find, cheap and works as well as anything I've tried and I have tried most of what has been mentioned above.

Just a little touch with a couple fingers and spin the case between thumb and fingers. A very light film on case works well and leaves very little residue build up on dies.

Sim

Couple honest questions for the guys who pick up and touch each case, how many cases you sizing at a time and how long does it take?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couple honest questions for the guys who pick up and touch each case, how many cases you sizing at a time and how long does it take? </div></div>
That is not 2 honest questions because I can give two answers to each question. Example 1:How many cases you sizing at a time?-One at a time. How long does it take?-7-10 seconds depending on the operator.
Example 2: How many cases are you sizing at a time?-500 How long does it take?-Hell I have no idea(knee jerk answer most people like myself can give). Better answer,1-1.5 hours full out.
Honestly I do not know how long it takes me to do 200 or 300. I can load my 90 rounds of ammo for an IHMSA match in about 1.5 hours +/-10 min. from clean case to finish.
If there is a system in which each piece of brass doesn't have to be touched I am all for someone else using that system. Ammo made one at a time(still using production methods of course)is better ammo. I don't need fast I need good. That is why I lube cases with my thumb and forfinger. I am way old school as well, you will not find any electronics on my loading bench....and probably never will. If I ever win the lottery I will buy a Prometheus.
Not being smart Rob just being brutally honest
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some imperial wax on a finger and thumb. </div></div>+1 ... Imperial sizing die wax is, in my opinion, the best. I have never had a stuck case using it.

Let me ask the questions again so it will possibly get a honest answer.

Seeing as this is a thread about lubing cases prior to sizing here's the question again. Guys who use Imperial or the like and pick up each case, when lubing those cases prior to sizing then how many cases do you do when you go to the bench to size? Are you just sitting down and picking up 20 or 30 cases and lubing them one at a time and then sizing or are you sitting down and doing 400-500?

With your answer above how long does it take to lube those prior to sizing?

I am not asking about loading the ammo. Just taking tumbled brass, lubing it prior to running it through the sizer. Just trying to see if you guys have a faster way to do it than my One Shot method. I usually do at least 400 cases in each lubing/sizing session and always looking for ways to speed up the process. I thought I found the fastest way so far as I can do them all in about 10-15 minutes prior to sizing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me ask the questions again so it will possibly get a honest answer.

Seeing as this is a thread about lubing cases prior to sizing here's the question again. Guys who use Imperial or the like and pick up each case, when lubing those cases prior to sizing then how many cases do you do when you go to the bench to size? Are you just sitting down and picking up 20 or 30 cases and lubing them one at a time and then sizing or are you sitting down and doing 400-500?

<span style="color: #CC0000">With your answer above how long does it take to lube those prior to sizing?</span>
I am not asking about loading the ammo. Just taking tumbled brass, lubing it prior to running it through the sizer. Just trying to see if you guys have a faster way to do it than my One Shot method. I usually do at least 400 cases in each lubing/sizing session and always looking for ways to speed up the process. I thought I found the fastest way so far as I can do them all in about 10-15 minutes prior to sizing. </div></div>

This is what I was afraid you might be getting at in your post and it clarifies how to answer you.
I have resized as many as 300 cases in one session, it is a rare event. I will take a break and get a drink, dip of snuff etc. I do not time my sessions. I do not lay out 250 cases and lube them all and then size them all. Understand that with lube on my fingers, I pick up one case roll it deftly between my fingers in its travel to the press, place it in the shellholder and pull the handle. On my 6BR I use a qtip to inside lube while I outside lube. Total time from picking the case up to throwing it in the resized bin is actually 7-9 seconds. I just had my wife put a stopwatch on me for 5 seperate 30-06 cases and I inside lubed the necks. I have never stuck a case using ISDW and my fingers. Again I am lubing them WHEN I pick them up, there is no seperate lubing operation. THat is the point of using ISDW and your fingers. As far as reloading your fingers go past the tin and touch the lube and roll your fingerss and your handy lube pads are recharged in seconds.
7-9 seconds from loading block and back, resized and ready to prime that is the honest answer. Whether you can maintain that pace through 500 cases depends on the individual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Again I am lubing them WHEN I pick them up, <span style="color: #FF0000">there is no seperate lubing operation.</span> THat is the point of using ISDW and your fingers. As far as reloading your fingers go past the tin and touch the lube and roll your fingerss and your handy lube pads are recharged in seconds.
</div></div>

That's how I do it.
Regardless of what lube method I use, I still have to handle each case. I lube the case with my left thumb and forefinger as my right hand takes it to the press.

In response to Rob's question, I don't know a specific time and haven't ran a test of one technique vs. another. I think it takes less time and is less messy than using any of the spray lubes. I have used Hornady One Shot and Dillon's spray lube with lanolin.

The only time I have had a stuck case was using One Shot spray and that case probably was my fault. I like Imperial but since I tried Kiwi Mink Oil I have no need to use anything else. Its quick, and can be purchased at most any store, cheaper.

I have loaded anywhere from 20 cases to several hundred cases at a time and think it is more efficient and faster to use the mink oil instead of the spray lubes.

This is nothing scientific and is only my opinion. Use what you like the most. All of the case lubes work well when properly applied.

Sim

Rob-

I use Imperial Wax and I pick up each piece as I run it.

I take the brass and pour it into a bin, put on a heavy duty nitrile glove and as I feed the progressive press, I roll 4-5 pieces in hand at a time.

It may or may not be faster than your method, I'm usually doing 200-400 cases at a stint, sometimes upwards of 600 if I've got a big pile of brass like after a 223 match.

I can lube them at the same rate that I can cycle the press handle comfortably, around 500 cases an hour.

Works for me. A tin goes a long way.

I have used Hornady One Shot. It works well with .223, but I have had issues with .308

With .223 I just dump 50 in a freezer bag and spray in the HOS, and shake. I tried to use a loading block to spray the .308 and did not like the results.

For large batches throw several hundred cases in an old box, squirt three "long squirts" of Dillon case lube and shake/tumble for 20 seconds. I found that putting the loaded rounds in a vibratory tumbler for 5 min is the best way to clean this lube off once you are done.

For small batches - Hornady One shot.