• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case Marking Tool for Load Identification

David Lepley

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2022
Cleveland, Ohio
Hello All,

I have found myself looking for ways to mark loads so that I can Identify what is what in testing. I came to the idea of using a sharpie marker on the case head when I considered the concept of a golf ball marking tool like these...

1661045477510.jpeg

So I made up a concept in Fusion360 for a 6.5PRC and printed one up, I think it's pretty good way to solve my case ID problem and thought you all may find it useful.
1661045807628.png

Here are some photos of the finished tool.

1661045872363.png

1661045923878.png

1661045967526.png

Let me know what you think or if you have any ideas to improve the concept further. I considered a "striping" tool for the case wall as well, but I figure the marks on the case head will survive chambering and firing better. In any location the marks come right off in the tumbler obviously.

-Dave

• Love
Reactions: mtrmn and simonp
I usually colour the bullets for testing, and really it's just in case I spill them out of the box. I usually shoot separate dots, instead of just one like the BR dudes.

Markings down near the case web on the sides usually survive chambering and firing just fine, that's how a lot of guys mark brass at matches.

personally I write on the 3x5 cards and on the cases , I mark both I want to start a log book to keep track a little better but am far too lazy for more writing than I already do . I use a sharpie marker to write details on cases like powder and load , neck tension and all that I put on the card .
just saw this and thought Id share

Last edited:
Reactions: simonp
I number the cases with sharpie and put all the data in a notebook. Works well so far

^^^^^^
That's what I do.
1 through whatever and it matches the spiral notebook.
The notebook has all of the info lined out.
That data is transferred to a permanent place after shooting.
The spiral notebook gives me room for chrono data and other notes too.

Reactions: simonp
personally I write on the 3x5 cards and on the cases , I mark both I want to start a log book to keep track a little better but am far too lazy for more writing than I already do . I use a sharpie marker to write details on cases like powder and load , neck tension and all that I put on the card .
just saw this and thought Id share

Interesting idea too, this is more or less what I imagined for a case wall marking tool, save for the 3D printed vs. fabricated construction.

Thanks!

^^^^^^
That's what I do.
1 through whatever and it matches the spiral notebook.
The notebook has all of the info lined out.
That data is transferred to a permanent place after shooting.
The spiral notebook gives me room for chrono data and other notes too.
Every time I go to the range for load work, I put the ammo into plastic MTM type ammo boxes. Boxes are marked by column, what’s what.

When I’m done, I put the cases back into the plastic ammo boxes.

No matter what I do, I manage to tip it over and the brass gets mixed up.

Numbering the cases is a great idea because you’ll know what charges were in the case if you see a pressure indicator.

Every time I go to the range for load work, I put the ammo into plastic MTM type ammo boxes. Boxes are marked by column, what’s what.

When I’m done, I put the cases back into the plastic ammo boxes.

No matter what I do, I manage to tip it over and the brass gets mixed up.

Numbering the cases is a great idea because you’ll know what charges were in the case if you see a pressure indicator.
Yeah somehow I knock the case over with my fired brass. I started putting some foam in the top of the case to prevent it from coming out. You have to get the right thickness foam but it works