• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case neck flat spots

easternncnative

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2010
northeastern NC
What's causing these flat spots on my case necks and is it correctable? .223 Lapua brass fired from Rem 700 TAC. These flattened spots require me to use the inside neck sizer button each time I reload.
Thanks for any advice!
brass006.jpg

Re: Case neck flat spots

When I see cases like that they have usually hit the concrete when ejected or have been stepped on.

Try to catch a case or two when ejecting the case and see if the flat spot is still there.

Most of my .223 brass that's out of round like this goes right back to round when using a sizing die with no expander. I decap it wiht a universal decapping die and then size/trim with a Dillon RT1200. I don't bother with an expander at all as the boat tailed bullets slip right in.

These cases come directly from chamber to my hand- no concrete involved.

I use a Redding bushing neck sizing die but if I don't use the carbide expander button, there is still a hint of "flat spot".

encn,

Cut a curl or two off the ejector spring. Or don't pull the bolt back so rapidly.

HTH,
DocB

I agree with DocB. I think it is an ejection issue. When you pull the bolt back, the brass is getting slammed into some part of the action. Try a slow pull back on the bolt and see what happens.

I bought some 300 AACBLK brass that had flat spots like that. turns out it was from hitting the ejection port on the AR. funny looking but resizing took care of it.

Yep it's the ejector spring causing the issue on chamber extraction. Mine does exactly the same thing, nothing to worry about.

Unless it prevents bullets from seating, I'd consider it a non-issue.