• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case neck lubing

Pickle Rick

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2018
I’ve seen some stuff on YouTube lately about lubing the inside of the case neck (and even bullet). I was thinking about trying this with dry lube. Anyone ever test this?

Yes, it isn't anything new.

I've been doing it for nearly 50 years and it was old when I was a kid and the old timers taught me... that was before personal computers and the internet... LOL

Aside from the idea that you are introducing a chemical between the neck and the bullet, the main thing to remember is the force on the bullet by the neck is proportional to the product of the neck tension hoop stress pressure times the friction coefficient. The addition of the graphite, MoS2, or whatever, will usually lower the friction force. That means your neck prep and load development must include the effect or it can throw things off.

What I like about it is that it generally reduces the variation of that force, and it greatly reduces the chances of adhesive friction (cold welding) of the neck and bullet.

It adds some work and I don't do it for everything, but I do use it for ammo that must be loaded long in advance of use and for important hunting or match ammo.

Reactions: SERE8541
I lube necks too but do not like any of the dry lube crap. Very gritty. I use a brush and 2 mops. One mop has regular imperial wax on it, medium coating. All are mounted on Frankford arsenal prep station stood on end. Run on lubed mop few passes brush then single pass on dry mop, all while station is on / rotating. Works very well for me loading multiple rifles.

Have you noticed any changes in SD or groupings doing this?

Lubing with imperial wax lube prior to bullet seating is retarded.
LOL
We need to work on your diplomacy skills....

Other than what happens when there is so much that it makes getting the powder in messy, it isn't a big deal.

Using Imperial is also not new. Some folks have been doing that for longer than I have been alive.

Some folks who dry tumble, are doing this without realizing they are doing it for a long time too.

Ammo companies also use proprietary chemicals between bullets and necks and they never tell you....

Merry Christmas.

Whats the before and after data look like? I'd be more concerned about even application of the lube or over application that would actually make things worse, but maybe its worth looking into.
First, it is a part of a brass prep process, not just putting lube in the neck. The final process is mandrel, 3 way trimmer, prime, then a final run on a lubed mop, brush then clean dry mop. I do not get excessive lube, no issues with powder sticking in neck. It is just enough to make seating very consistent. I have tried many methods but like this one best. #'s, If memory serves me right my extended 30 plus round strings went from an SD of around 12-18 to single digits. Wife's brand new 7/300 PRC just did SD of 10.7 for 2nd set of 50 rounds on virgin brass which we did final prep process on. Groups in the GTs are all sub half but typical is between .2 and .3

Edit to add: I did not like the other lube methods as they were gritty and messy. They performed well, I just did not like the hassle and mess. This is incorporated into an existing process so it is minimal time and effort.

LOL
We need to work on your diplomacy skills....

Other than what happens when there is so much that it makes getting the powder in messy, it isn't a big deal.

Using Imperial is also not new. Some folks have been doing that for longer than I have been alive.

Some folks who dry tumble, are doing this without realizing they are doing it for a long time too.

Ammo companies also use proprietary chemicals between bullets and necks and they never tell you....

Merry Christmas.

Dry lube is a lot less slick than imperial. Completely different.

only way to determine if it works is try it for yourself and measure the results. It maybe different for you vs others.

Whats the before and after data look like? I'd be more concerned about even application of the lube or over application that would actually make things worse, but maybe its worth looking into.

I have some data in this thread: