• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case neck primer flash hole misalignment

Kirkrhunter

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2022
Indiana
I have been reloading for the 7mm Remington magnum for 25 years using a Lyman T-mag press and Lyman dies. I also typically use Lee case trim tools. Today after sizing and case prep, I intended to trim all brass, but the Lee trim stem was misaligned with the flash hole and it would not go into the hole to index off the shell holder. I took a piece of virgin brass and it aligned perfectly. Then I ran it through the sizing die and it was misaligned. I'm thinking the ram on the press might be worn. There is a little play. It could be exacerbated by a die misalignment. I did try a other station on the press, but the problem remained. I'll try using my current dies on a friend's press. Anyone seen this?

I can't imagine a Tmag with more rounds loaded than mine and I don't have that problem. I've never used Lyman dies so they may have worn? Would be curious to know how much run-out a gage would show. Sounds like a ton.

I initially thought it might be a bent stem on the trimmer pilot, but it aligned perfectly on virgiin brass. Then after that new brass was sized, it was misaligned. I think I will start by buying some dies from Redding or RCBS. I'll update if I find the problem.

I initially thought it might be a bent stem on the trimmer pilot, but it aligned perfectly on virgiin brass. Then after that new brass was sized, it was misaligned. I think I will start by buying some dies from Redding or RCBS. I'll update if I find the problem.
I received Redding 7mm Remington magnum dies today. They sized brass without any problems. The new dies also corrected the misalignment of brass sized with my old die. The neck expander button stem on the old dies does appear to be bent. I probably had it adjusted too far out at some point and it bottomed out during sizing on the case web. Thanks for all your suggestions.