• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case neck shaving (turning) and the Gracie neck shaver

HAZORD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2013
SW Idaho
I have a Giraud case trimmer, and love it. I'm wanting to do some extended long range shooting and I'm wondering about neck shaving or neck turning to uniform the case neck thickness. I haven't seen much about it here on the Hide. I want consistency in my ammo to eliminate any variables, so I like to use powered equipment. Giraud doesn't make a neck shaver or turner, and the only one I know of is Gracie. Some people really like his product, but I'm wondering what you guys think? Who out there is neck shaving or turning with power equipment and what are you using?

Last edited:
Yes, it is also know as neck turning. Gracie calls their version a neck shaver to distinguish between that and their case length trimmer.

Ah, that makes sense. Neck shave was something I got last week at the barber shop:)

I don't have any first hand experience with the Gracey's powered device but the comments below are consistent with what I've heard.

Gracey Power Neck Shaver

Gracey Power Outside Neck Shaver. HELP????????????????

Gracey power neck turner

When I first got into long range shooting a few years back, I called Sinclair and was planning to buy a bunch of brass prep tools and gauges etc including a neck turner. The technician I spoke to suggested I buy good brass and the basic things like a trimmer, PP cleaner, flash hole debur etc. He said neck turning would be way down on the list of things to worry about unless I had a tight neck chamber (which I didn't). That turned out to be good advice.

While you must turn the necks for tight neck chambers this doesn't mean it can't help your standard chamber. Good bullet pull is a result of consistent neck tension. I have checked many neck thicknesses on brass from lapua to Remington. Some lots are decent and many are not.
Neck turning is easy to do well with the right tools. I have used a Don Neilson Pumpkin for a few years with great results.
A ball micrometer and expander/turner mandrels with the turner will complete the tools needed.
I use a bosch cordless drill to neck turn. Also I would try to keep the necks close to .013 for durability.

R