• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case OAL

CarbonMTN

224 Overbore
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
NV
Okay, so with the crazy low/no ammo inventory I thought I would pick up reloading. I've keep all my factory shot brass ( hornady, norma, PPU and sig sauer)that I shot out of my Tikka 223 (couple hundred rounds).

So Sierra reloading book says that the Case OAL is to be 1.76. When I measure MY shot brass I range from 1.73, 1.74 and 1.75. Does this mean that I can just start making freedom fries?

should I reload the 1.73?

You're looking at max case length. There is also a 'trim to' length that is generally 10-15k shorter.

You're good to reload them all. You can trim them uniform if you'd like, but don't sweat it if not.

ETA: ,223 trim length is 1,750. It should be listed in the text next to the diagram.

You're looking at max case length. There is also a 'trim to' length that is generally 10-15k shorter.

You're good to reload them all. You can trim them uniform if you'd like, but don't sweat it if not.

ETA: ,223 trim length is 1,750. It should be listed in the text next to the diagram.

Thanks! I just saw that.

will making them all uniform help with accuracy at all? or is it more helping my OCD?

Having uniform neck lengths is one step in having uniform neck tension. Uniformity is key to accuracy, I am told.

Reactions: CarbonMTN
I load and shoot bulk crap at 1.735-1.74 all the time.... shouldn't be an issue to go boom and hold the bullet.

Load it and shoot it now.

Then measure and trim uniformly to recommended 'trim-to' length. Consider this loading as a fire forming pass.

Then, FWIW, I'd segregate the brass into separate batches by head stamp; it may aid consistency, and with it, accuracy.

Greg

Okay, so with the crazy low/no ammo inventory I thought I would pick up reloading. I've keep all my factory shot brass ( hornady, norma, PPU and sig sauer)that I shot out of my Tikka 223 (couple hundred rounds).

So Sierra reloading book says that the Case OAL is to be 1.76. When I measure MY shot brass I range from 1.73, 1.74 and 1.75. Does this mean that I can just start making freedom fries?

should I reload the 1.73?
Measure them after resizing. The sizing process will make the necks longer. After sizing they may be over 1.750” and should be trimmed back.