• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case Separating Without Firing

Pirate-69

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2009
Greenville, NC
I had something strange to occur this afternoon. I have some 264WM reloads that I loaded in 1977. I was planning on shooting them to clear-out some old ammo I have laying around. I noticed they were seated to deep at the time of reloading and figured I would pull the bullets part-way with an inertia bullet puller and reseat to the proper depth. I pulled the first round without problem. After two strikes on the second round, I heard the bullet loose in the puller. When I inspected the case, I found that the neck of the case had snapped off completely. It had separated at the point that the neck joins the should and the neck was still tightly attached to the bullet. Has anyone seen this happen before?

Re: Case Separating Without Firing

Wow. I've never seen that, but I'm glad you didn't find it while shooting! Could have been interesting.

I dunno but that is interesting. Case weld caused by a galvanic reaction? Was the brass neck tuned?

Did you crimp your bullet? Still it's very fortunate.

Ammo was stored in a plastic ammo box in a garage

Should not have been any ammonia fumes present. No indication of ammonia reactions.

Neck was not turned. It was difficult to move the bullet with the inertia bullet puller. Maybe case weld.

Bullet was not crimped.

I found neck cracks in some unfired brass that came with a gun I bought. They are very fine cracks that I did not notice in loading. The cracks opened up when they were fired. I started looking at the rest of the brass and found most of it has a fine crack in the neck running length ways.

I believe expansion and contraction from temperature change work hardens the brass and causes it to crack. I have not found cracks in brass that was stored inside where the temperature does not change much, but these were stored outside in a garage for a long time.

Good shooting,
Ron

Try a couple and bump the bullet to break any galvanic reaction loose. Seat the bullet 1/16" deeper then try it. As long as the bullet moves is the main thing. That way the metals aren't "stuck" together.

Victor,
I have been debating doing just that. I will break them lose, reseat to the proper depth and fire them. I hate to just trash the loaded rounds.

If bumping the bullet doesn't work I'd get a bullet puller and tear them down. You may not be able to save the brass, but you might be able to save the bullets and powder.

Tear them down. Sketchy ammo is never worth the risk. Just my opinion.

I am just speculating but it could have been the lube used in the reloading process or a chemical cleaning agent for the brass. Regardless, I had the same thing happen to .338 Win Mag ( Rem. Cases )

If there is some sort of chemical/metallurgical activity at work, I would consider the propellant to be questionable. I'd disassemble the cartridges to remove the temptation to fire them, and do an exam of the components. Any aspirin-like/acidic scent to the powder would confirm its unreliability, and the only thing I'd re-use would be bullets. Components may be dear but my safety and that of those around me is moreso.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pirate-69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Victor,
I have been debating doing just that. I will break them lose, reseat to the proper depth and fire them. I hate to just trash the loaded rounds. </div></div>

You misunderstood me. Breaking them loose also helps in pulling the bullets.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear.