• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

case shoulder resizing

MikeG

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2005
Iowa
I just got my Model 700 XCR Long Range tactial rifle in .308. I have some factory ammo that won't chamber. I pulled a bullet and darkened the should and neck area of the case and found that the shoulder of the case is slightly larger as evidenced by a shiny ring were it hits the inside of the chamber.
The reloading question is ....is there a die to resize the shoulder? The same ammo isn't a issue in my M1A Nat match. My reloads fit fine but factory ammo???
Mike g

Re: case shoulder resizing

MikeG ......

Take a look at this link. Digital Headspace Gauge You'll see an easy to use, inexpensive tool that will compare your questionable rounds (at the shoulder) with one of your fireformed cases. You'll be able to <span style="font-weight: bold">SEE</span> exactly <span style="text-decoration: underline">how much</span> to bump your shoulder. This new gauge also works on all calibers.

- Innovative

If a factory load won't chamber in a factory rifle, something here does not compute.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got my Model 700 XCR Long Range tactial rifle in .308. I have some factory ammo that won't chamber. </div></div>

Assuming that the gun is brand new::

If the gun barrel is marked 308 Win and (new) factory 308 Win ammo will not allow the bolt to close, a trip back to the factory is in order for the gun.

No self respecting gun manufacture would allow a gun out of the factory that did/does not meet headspacing requirements.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Body Die, I think Redding makes them. </div></div>

Body dies don't touch the shoulder- shoulder bump dies do.

At any rate, the rifle needs to be returned to Remington assuming the ammo is at or below minimum headspace based on a reading using a Wilson case gauge. If it does not gauge at or below minimum then the ammo needs to go back to the manufacturer.

Ok
I bought some different factory ammo just to check. The bolt closes on every case. I tried about three boxes of what I've reloaded and the rifle bolt closes on all. The bolt locks up on all the military 7.62 x 51 I have two winchester factory rounds in question. These round lock up in a .308 Enfield but just.
mmmmh.
Mike G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Body Die, I think Redding makes them. </div></div>

Body dies don't touch the shoulder- shoulder bump dies do.
..................................</div></div>

Redding Body dies bump the shoulder just fine and that is what I use them for.
Headspace gauge proves it.

Quite some time back I had a similar issue with cases I loaded and did not bump the shoulder far enough, as evidenced by the headspace measurement. Bumped the loaded cases with my Body die and they chambered just fine.

Thanks Bob- I was taught if I wanted to separate the operations to get a body die and a bump die, so I got some bad steering it appears or this capability varies by die vendor.

No problem, Leo.
I watch my Redding Instant Indicator pretty carefully on my 308.....trying to get all the life I can from my Lapua brass.
I try to stay away from the need to size loaded cases, but I did have to do it that one time. Worked like a champ! I still use the Body die now and then, but mostly use the "S" dies now.

I see where Forster makes a bushing/bump die.
It sounds identical in result to the Redding Type S f/l bushing die.

Ok I've located a bump die. I appreciate the information. Now to get a day with no rain and mud to try out the new rifle Ofcourse it wouldn't be the fist time I shot in the rain. Or snow.
Mike G