• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case stuck in Forster Micrometer seating die

madd0c

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2010
South Carolina
Well, I guess I found out that my chamber is over spec in my 338 Lapua Magnum. I neck sized once fired Lapua brass (fired in the same rifle) and after priming and charging the case put it in my Forster micrometer seater. The case is now STUCK in the seater. It is a live round. When I moved the press arm back up the chamber seating sleeve came OUT of the seating die with the round in the sleeve.

It is dead stuck. I tried using the shellholder and vise grips while putting the seating sleeve in a vise and tapping with a brass hammer to dislodge the case from the seter sleeve. No luck. I then tried placing the sleeve in the vise and using a punch from the top to tap out the round. I have succeeded in driving the bullet almost completely into the case but ZERO movement of the stuck case from the sleeve.

I am going to call Forster tomorrow, but any ideas on how to get this case (now a live charged round) out of the seater? I am pulling my hair out. I am very afraid to be too rough with a fully charged, primed, round in the seater sleeve.

Thanks for any ideas,
madd0c

Re: Case stuck in Forster Micrometer seating die

put it in the freezer overnight if you can. Also you could try and hold a can of compressed air and try and get it cold enough to shrink and wiggle free.

call this guy

Bomb20Squad20002.jpg

Freeze it. This works a fair bit of the time

Freezer worked!
Ruined a Redding shelholder getting it out, but I now don't feel like I am sending something dangerous to Forster to have them open up the seater.
I spoke with them today, very friendly customer service.

Thanks for the help guys!
madd0c