• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

case trim length in 223

rweaver00geo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2010
benton il
havent trimmed cases in 2 years or so but had a batch of 20 that needed it. set up the trimmer and checked the first on at 1.750" Perfect. However my next 19 all seemed shorter some as low as 1.742" I suspect the set screw was slipping. Is 1.742" too short? It visibly looks short?

Re: case trim length in 223

if I'm just loading a plinker i would run it but that's just me. i try and keep all my brass between 1.745 and 1.755. all my precision stuff though is run to 1.752 and then brought down with a cricket.

my case trimmer is set at 1.752 and it stays there but sometimes I don't chuck them up all the way when I'm in a rush and they'll go short.

whats a cricket? im just a plinker/hunter with 2 savage bolt guns no matches or competitions however on occasion i have been known to settle a bet with some bs'r at the bar. just as long as its not harmful to trim that short.
should i adjust my c.o.l.? usually i load the maximum that will fit in the magazine which is way short of where my lands are.

RW,

I use a Lyman trimmer and sometimes I have to rechuck the case and trim a little more; the more the trimming, the more the tries to get it right. My guess is your 1.742 length is what the trimmer is set for and the first one first one just didn't get down far enough.

I personally would set your trimmer a little long, trim a few until I was confident in the length and then tighten down a little at a time and then lock it down.

I trim every time to eliminate the long trims. Necessary or not, that's what I do. I do not load plinkers and really don't know what defines a plinking round. If you're going to take the time to reload, load for precision.

CT

rweaver - I wouldnt worry about those short cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rweaver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats a cricket? im just a plinker/hunter with 2 savage bolt guns no matches or competitions however on occasion i have been known to settle a bet with some bs'r at the bar. just as long as its not harmful to trim that short.
should i adjust my c.o.l.? usually i load the maximum that will fit in the magazine which is way short of where my lands are. </div></div>

sorry lol I think I'm the only one that calles them crickets

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=143728

I would worry about the cases being .008 to short. I trim mine .005 under min and have never had accuracy problems. The next time you shoot them they will probably stretch enogh to be in the min/max range. But in the future keep them closer to 1.750".

haha thats funny! cricket is a lot easier than saying the real name but your right sometimes it does make a cricket like noise, i do have one but i use it sparingly since the first time i went crazy and actually sharpened my cases to deadly weapons grade

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rweaver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">haha thats funny! cricket is a lot easier than saying the real name but your right sometimes it does make a cricket like noise, i do have one but i use it sparingly since the first time i went crazy and actually sharpened my cases to deadly weapons grade </div></div>

oh yeah can't tell you how many cuts i get from them things. i just do like 4 flicks of my wrist on the outside and 2 inside. keeps them dull but well chamferd. my fingers are still good enough i can feel the inside edge of the case and tell if its good or not.