• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case trimmer question

M113A3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2018
San Francisco
I recently bought a Sinclair Ultimate Case trimmer and was getting ready to set it up and then happen to watch a video on the Giraud and thought wow that makes trimmer fast when compared to the Sinclair.

I am thinking if I am trimming more than 50 cases the manual method might become to much of a time suck. Just looking for others who have considered the same question and what you choose and how it worked out.

Cheers!

I started with the Sinclair trimmer. Didn’t take long to hook it up to a drill to try to increase speed. After a couple years I bought a Giraud Tri-Way and never looked back...Although I still regret not getting the Giraud Power Trimmer. The Giruard is absolutely the way to go.

Had my Sinclair trimmer for a few months but only trimmed a few cases. I thought I considered myself patient, but I immediately listed it for sale and purchased a Giraud trimmer. I average about 20 cases a minute. Nevermind speed, the consistency in trim length, chamfering and deburring is unmatched. Worth every penny.

When I got the Dillon 650 and the BMG presses years ago I never looked back. The autotrimmer is just the tits. It'll also size the brass if you wanna do that but it helps to run the necks through the appropriate expander afterwards since the trimmer won't do that (if the brass is tight, like new Lapua).

You can do all the trim, chamf and deburr in a giraud as fast as you can chuck a case up in a lathe much less do any work on it.

Reactions: h3dgehawk
I have both of these. I use the Wilson/Sinclair on my match ammo, usually in batches of 100 or less. The carbide cutter was an expensive but worthwhile option. If you trim often you are not removing very much brass and it goes quick. I use the Giraud on larger batches, like for my Prairie Dog ammo. I can sustain a rate of 15 to 16 cases per minute and it holds the length to within .001. So for me, different jobs for different trimmers.

Thanks for all the replies guys - I am on the fence... I have a new in box ultimate case trimmer which I have not even unwrapped. I am considering returning it or maybe selling it to fund the Giraud.

For volume, the Giraud is the way to go. Bought one a few years ago. No regrets. I formerly had a Dillon 1250 and a Gracey. Giraud knocked them both out of the water. I sold them both.

After years of cranking (literally) out brass through my old lathe-style trimmer, I gave in and bought the Giraud. Caliber conversions is a breeze, as long as you have different cutter heads set for each caliber and you use a lock ring on the shell holder. I don't care if I'm making 50 or 500 rounds. The only downside is the initial cost, but if you value your time, you'll order one.

Reactions: M113A3
Thanks all - I am going to return the Sinclair since the return process is painless. For those that use the Giraud any tips tricks on set up\configuration?

The Giraud is awesome, but check out the Frankford Arsenal trimmer too. I have both and for the money the FA is a phenomenal trimmer. It's still way faster than a manual or a manual with a drill attached, and isn't THAT much slower than a Giraud. It also costs roughly 1/3rd the cost of the Giraud with only one caliber setup.

Thanks all - I am going to return the Sinclair since the return process is painless. For those that use the Giraud any tips tricks on set up\configuration?

Here are the two standard tips that I think everyone who owns a Giraud will recommend:

1. Buy a case holder for each caliber you shoot, but only one cutter assembly. For instance, 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 can share the same cutter blade, which will come set for 6.5mm/264, but obviously not the same shell holder. I have cutters for 6mm, 6.5mm, 30 cal, etc., so I can trim 6 Dasher or 6XC, 6.5 Creedmoor, 308 or 300 WM, etc. All I have to do is remove the old case holder, swap out the cutting blade head, insert new case holder (see below for the next tip, which ensures an accurate "return to zero") and I'm off and running!

2. Once you have your case holder set to your desired trim length, add a lock ring to it, like one of the Hornady Sure-Locs. It will make swapping the case holders really simple and ensures you're always really close to the same trim length every time.

Thanks Canezach - if you have the time a picture is worth a thousand words ;) BTW I read that the trimmer should be set up in a way as to have the brass shavings fall away from the case mouth i.e. you have to turn the unit on its side?

No problem! I'm at work right now, so no go on any pics, but I'm sure someone will step up here before I get home.

I do have mine vertically, so the case mouth is pointing down as it's inserted into the shell holder. That allows the shavings to fall down below the blade. You don't have to "set it up" to run vertically. It's a motor and the cutting unit (it's about the size of a soda can that contains the cutter assembly, the lexan shield, and the case holder) that are mounted to an L-shaped metal base, so you just tip the entire unit over 90º. I've never tired using it horizontally.

Giraud is the gold standard for fast and easy trimming. If you want to keep using your current trimmer, buy the power adapter and do it like this. It can go pretty fast.

I’ve had a Giraud trimmer since January. And absolutely one the those tools are worth investing in. Like a electric pencil sharpener on your desk.. lol

I have a RCBS Trim Pro-2 Power Kit with Spring Loaded Shell Holder and RCBS Trim Pro 3-Way Cutter. It is pretty slick, but you will be out a little over $300 for the setup.