• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case trimmer recommendation

SmokeRolls

Nobody important
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
Shopping for a good quality case trimmer that can quickly get my cases trimmed to exact length and not take too long. Is the Wilson Sinclair still about the best one? I looked on Sinclairs web site and they have one for like $169 and Sinclairs upgraded version with a nicer looking micro adjust for $199. What is your recommendations?
Im going to be trimming many different calibers like;
300WSM,6.5 Rem Mag,30-06, 308, 30-30, 7.62x39,7mm08, 22-250, 223
and pistol cartridges, 44mag, 45ACP,9mm,357mag, 38spc, 32acp
Thanks for your help.
Also, who has the best prices and is good to deal with?
I usually deal with Midway and am very happy with their service but they dont have everything.
.... SmokeRolls

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

I had great luck with the RCBS Trim Pro Power Case Trimmer

But the ultimate trimmer that I have used yet is the Giraud Power Trimmer; this thing is unreal for a perfect repetitive case from one to the next. It trims the length and both beveled edges all at the same time and is fast and simple. Probably the best I have seen yet.

oneshot.onehit

if you say the best, for speed and ease of use - most will say giraud - but I do not think it works for pistol

with all those chamberings it will be extra pricey

I use the RCBS - not ideal, but I do not trim much

The Sinclair trimmer is the one that I am looking to move to I had the RCBS 1 and it worked for what I needed at the time but I like the micrometer feature and recently bought the Redding micrometer trimmer but don't really like the way it holds the case so will most likely be dumping that off and picking up the Wilson/Sinclair set up

gireaud is no doubt the best and fastet but the litte WFT is not far behind.

I have been researching trimmers for the past month. I have settled on the Sinclair Sainless Ultimate Trimmer. What convinced me that this was the best buy was the case holder concept. Holding the case by the body to me is more stable and truer to the cutting head than holding just by by the base.

OP:

Don't mean to second guess you, but what are your reasons for wanting to trim the pistol cases? I'm sure you're aware not many people trim them?

Reason I ask is that, as indicated by others, the Giraud trimmer is *the* way to go if you want an awesome trimmer. It does require cartridge specific shellholders that cost ~$25 each. I don't believe it does pistol cases.

If you could get by not trimming your pistol brass, I would highly recommend you get the Giraud, even though you'll need to buy 8 different shellholders to handle all your rifle cartridges.

Bear in mind that a Giraud holds it's value very well, and are easy to sell. They cost $450 new, and will sell for $400-425 in the classified section here in less than 10 minutes.

I think I have decided to go with the Sinclair Sainless Ultimate Trimmer for my situation.
I don't have a tremendous amount of time with work load and three kids to shoot a massive amount and most of the time I cant even load 100 bullets at one given time.... I think that will do for all that I need of it. I appreciate all the imput and opinions.....Thanks, you made my decision easier.
.....SmokeRolls

Giraud is the best and I love mine, you don't need to trim pistol brass.

I have never used the sinclair trimmer but with the amount of reloading you are talking about I am sure any will do.

wilson trimmer with micrometer for me. i had a rcbs powered trimmer before and sold it to buy the wilson, with no regrets.

I chucked the Lee Trimmer Cutting head in my Lathe. Then plop a case in the holder, press the holder to the spinning lathe and the case is done in less than 1 second--it takes more time to attach case to case holder and remove than it takes to trim.

I can do 50 cases in about 7 minutes.

If I had a proper tool made, I could trim, chamfer, and deburr in the same step.

Just bought a Giraud and it took exactly 3 weeks.

You can't go wrong with the Wilson/Sinclair trimmer.

I'm not trimming a couple hundred cases at a time either. When I trim I'm only doing a handful at a time.

My only advise is go with the new stainless one.

Just got the sinclair, works great. Get the one with the micrometer.

Another vote for the Giraud. My friends like it so much, that they buy the holders and trimmers for the calibers they reload and just use my trimmer. Works out for everyone.

Giraud if you can afford it. Possum Hollow trimmer chucked up into a drill if your resources are similar to mine...

I have never needed to trim pistol brass. I loose it before it has a chance to stretch that far...
WFT gets my vote for quick and inexpensive. Depends on how 'quick' you want to be. The Sinclair is a nice unit for a 'traditional' unit - but will be a bit slower than the WFT. WFT is good to deal with and can even make you a unit for a case that they don't have 'in stock' pretty quickly.

The Giraud is frequently mentioned on here, but does anyone have any experience with the Gracey trimmer?

The Gracey is an excellent trimmer if you can't afford a Giraud.

Bob Jones in Phoenix makes a better carbide cutter blade than the Gracey comes with.

I purchased a like new Giraud on ebay with a .308 and .223 trimmer setup. Best purchase I have ever made. Trimming is now a non issue where as before it was my most dreaded reloading chore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I chucked the Lee Trimmer Cutting head in my Lathe. Then plop a case in the holder, press the holder to the spinning lathe and the case is done in less than 1 second--it takes more time to attach case to case holder and remove than it takes to trim.

I can do 50 cases in about 7 minutes.

If I had a proper tool made, I could trim, chamfer, and deburr in the same step. </div></div>

In that setup all you need to do is buy the Giraud cutting head and chuck that on the lathe. Wouldnt that work?

Ok...Yesterday I ordered the Sinclair ultimate trimmer in stainless and a bunch of case holders.
Thanks again guys
....SmokeRolls