• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case trimmer setup?

6.5grendel

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2019
I currently use the Lee case length gauge and shell holder style case trimmers and it is very time consuming and you can only trim to the one set length. I am looking for something to make my brass trimming and prep much faster and the ability to trim at different lengths. I have been looking at the Giraud, Trim It 2, and PMA trimmers but don't want to have to buy separate trimmers or adapters for each caliber that I have. I have also been looking at the Lyman Trim Xpress, Frankford Arsenal Universal case trimmer, and the Frankford Arsenal case trim and prep center. They all 3 appear to trim using the same concept as the other 3 mentioned earlier by trimming off the shoulder and they look like they come with everything for multiple calibers. Does anyone have any experience with the Lyman or either Frankford Arsenal trimmers? The Lyman and FA universal trimmers look like they are new and haven't been out very long. I would also get a simple case prep center with chamfer, debur, and primer pocket cleaner if I went with the Lyman or FA universal trimmer. Thank you for any advise.

Someone gave me an FA at Christmas and I have used it just to see what it can do.

I have done most of my trimming with a Forster and a Giraud. I also have several other trimmers including RCBS, WFT, etc.. When I have 30 cal or 223, the batch sizes are anywhere from 100 to 500 at a time and I am very happy to run a Giraud.

I will say that the FA unit, you will be fine cause it doesn’t require specific pilots and tools and it can chamfer inside, outside, and also work primer pockets. Sorry I can’t say anything about the Lyman because I don’t have one and have not used one either.

If you are like most of us, and you shoot much volume, you will eventually have the Giraud unit or their TriWay trimmer or both, as well as something like the Wilson or Forster. The Forster style, like many others, can do a three way trim as well as neck turn, but these styles require caliber specific pilots. You will also have something like the FA for backup. These things accumulate over a lifetime.

But to answer your main question, yes that FA unit will give you are great starting point.