• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case trimming: Hate it!!

seanhagerty

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2010
Near Fort Leonard Wood
I hate case trimming. I even hate chamfering the cases after trimming. I want an easier way of dealing with this for bulk 223 reloading.

I also dont want to spend a buttload on a system. Anyone have an easy way to prep bulk 223 brass?

Re: Case trimming: Hate it!!

Looks like $300. Makes me wonder what the $140 advantage is with the Giraud.

Giraud for sure, One of the best investments on my bench.

I sold my Gracey and Dillon and bought a Giraud. It's a better set up. It has a more powerful motor than the Gracey so it doesn't chatter as much as the Gracey, doesn't sling bearing oil all over, easier to reset the blade for another caliber, Gracey is a pain in the ass to convert to another caliber even with the replacement cutter from Giraud. Worth the extra $$$$$ for the Giraud.

With the Giraud, you can buy cutting heads preset for a different caliber.

With preset cutting heads in the Giraud, you can change calibers over to trim in less than two minutes. You replace the factory shell holder nut with a standard lockable die ring.

The Gracey works, but for the current prices, the Giraud is a better deal.

The Giraud will give you a boner.

The only advantage to the Dillon trimmer is using it in a progressive press. It will work very well in the progressive because after trimming, you have to use a F/L die after trimming, but if you use it in a single stage press, it's a pain in the ass. The Giraud is much better for the single stage user.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean Hagerty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do I need to chamfer after using the WFT from Little Crow? </div></div>

Yes, sorry, but you don't have to spend $300.
It does do the debure on outside of mouth, though.

With the WFT - the first trimming I have to do the outside and inside chamfer. After that - unless the cases grow a lot I generally need just need to do the inside chamfer. I use a VLD tool on the inside.

I use a Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmer with power adapter. The trimmer is under $30 most places. The power adapter is under $20 last I knew. Definitely not a Giraurd but I just can't justify the extra cost because

I'm retired and reloading gives me something to do. Like you I HATE trimming too. I use the Kwick trimmer and follow with a chamfer and VLD reamer setup from Lyman with a wimpy "in-line" drill that I use till the battery goes dead and I'm usually ready to call it a day by then anyway.

Just another option for you to consider.

I don't have any issues with trimming .223. Have an extra tool head for my 650 and just run them all through with a universal depriming die in station one and a Dillon RT1200 in Station 4. I trim and size all at the same time. The high speed cutter, when kept sharp, doesn't leave any burr, inside or out on the case mouth. After I size and trim 3-4 thousand cases in an afternoon I'm set to load. If the cases are all "scabby and dirty" I clean them first using Stainless Steel pins in a tumbler.

Once the machine is set up and the case feeder filled, I can even have my wife or one of my grandkids pull the handle. That makes the task even easier.

Hey Sean...If you didn't hate case trimming we'd all be wondering what's the matter with you anyways...
It's a normal and healthy aversion... That will be $300.00 please for your "shrink" session. He, he, he.

Sean, I know you don't want to spend a lot of money but I am with you and hate trimming. If you can save just a bit and buy a Giruad, DO IT! I purchased mine about a month ago and it is hands down one of the top five best investments I have ever made. I have owned a manual RCBS trimmer, a power RCBS trimmer, a WFT, and a Dillon 1200. There is no comparison.

Would Love one of those Super-High-End rigs but ended up with a RCBS Trim-Pro 2 with the 3-Way Cutter head. Get out the right angle drill and cranks 'em out.
Very good uniformity with nice inside-outside chamfers.
Not quite as sweet as above but had to keep costs in check.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoFail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have this one, love it!!

http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html

Watch the video's... </div></div>

2 minutes ago I just bought one for the .308 family and one for the Standard Mag Family. Hope it works, I hate manual trimming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Giraud. Discussion over. :)
</div></div>
Waiting on my Giraud now....been putting it off an said screw it..i'm sick of *(*(ing around with my forester hand crank for my larger volume reloading.
Buy once cry once....then smile like a fat kid at the twinkie factory when you have pile of trimmed 223 ready to load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourNameHere50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would Love one of those Super-High-End rigs but ended up with a RCBS Trim-Pro 2 with the 3-Way Cutter head. Get out the right angle drill and cranks 'em out.
Very good uniformity with nice inside-outside chamfers.
Not quite as sweet as above but had to keep costs in check.</div></div>

I picked up a 3 way head for my RBCS Trim Pro, it takes the chamfer part out of the process and is uniform, I like it.

I believe he has a lifetime warranty on all his work also. I went over there today to get a .308 cutter installed by the master himself and when he plugged it in noticed a problem that I had no idea was even there. Now I dont know the name of any of the parts on the unit, but the whole gold colored part that you put your shell in was yanked off and he put a bland spankin new part on there. I asked him how much it was and he said any maint needed on these are covered as long as you dont send it to me after a house fire, flood, or running over it in your car, all things people tried to get warranty work done for. He's a great guy with a great system. Buy with confidence

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+ 1 on the giruad. Best reloading tool ever. </div></div>
I've spent and also wasted lots of money over the years getting the next "great reloading tool" but the Giraud is one purchase I'm glad I made. Trimming was the one job that I despised about reloading. The Giraud has made it a non issue.