• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case trimming?

FNG

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2005
Allen, TX
Reloading for 308 in an sps-v. If the brass length is between 2.005 and 2.015 do you need to trim it to 2.005 or can you leave and just trim when over 2.015? I have been trimming to min. length every time and wondering if I could reduce my time by not trimming each time.

Re: Case trimming?

shoot till comfortable you will not exceed the max length , no need to trim every time or you may go crazy!!!!!!!

They sell a insert that is put into a over trimmed case to measure your chambers length. If you do not know I would trim as you have been doing. Recent thread here that showed a very dangerous situation that might have been caused by a long case.

I trim every time, Not sure 100% why, but if I don't I get all freaked out. I also count my brass and seperate it into 100 or 200 count bags for bulk stuff or into 50 round plastic boxes.

I think I have OCD.

Obsessive Cartridge Disorder.

I don't think it's a bad case though, (no pun intended) because I don't sort by case wieght...any more.
smile.gif
As long as no one mentions neck thickness I think I'll be alright.

BTW Sinclair sells the insert(s) mentioned above, and I believe Frankford Arsenal makes a set.

Halfnutz

I would much rather load and shoot next to an OCD buddy than a careless one. Keep doing things the way you do.

You probably won't want to shoot next to me though, I only trim my 308 cases every 3-5 firings these days.
laugh.gif

I figured it would be ok not to trim every time as long as they were not at max. Thanks as usual and yes I was going crazy.

I'm with Bill, I only trim when it gets close to max length (less than ~.005 from max). I've had cases that were full length sized come back shorter after firing then before - I imagine the brass stretched to fill the chamber and some of the brass came from the neck area so definitely no point trimming every time if it doesn't need it. I've also found if I meausured before and after full length sizing that the expander ball caused some stretch. Neck sizing with a collet die does not seem to add any stretch so I think it saves some trimming time. Still, can't wait until I can afford a Giraud trimmer, that thing looks sweet!!