• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case weights

Alaskaman11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2009
Last Frontier
Im loading my 338 Lapua, I was told to weigh the case's. What is the deviation that is acceptable, .5 grains, 1.0 grains.....Why am i doing this?

Re: Case weights

To avoid "slicing the pie" too thin, years ago I sorted the mixed LC ball brass from the local DCM club into three batches:

Plus/minus 1 standard deviation from the mean weight (should result in 2/3 falling into that ordinal class);

More than 1 sd heavier; and

More than 1 sd lighter.

With a 1 MOA rifle and a wobble area of 1 MOA for only 95% of my shots, I couldn't tell whether it made a difference. But is sure felt better.

IIRC, the middle batch was about the same +/- range as unsorted LC Match brass all from the same lot. The weight distribution was also NOT a bell curve. Either the heavy or light batch was almost twice as many cases as the other.

I've forgotten so much.

What were we talking about?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im loading my 338 Lapua, I was told to weigh the case's. What is the deviation that is acceptable, .5 grains, 1.0 grains.....Why am i doing this? </div></div>
You're asking all of the right questions. If you're looking to match the cases, measure the individual volumes and sort that way. My guess is that you'll quit worrying about the cases in short order, developing great faith in Lapua's reputation and quality control efforts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My guess is that you'll quit worrying about the cases in short order... </div></div>
Yelp!