• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Caspian 1911 lowers

Tengu

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2010
Arizona Republic
Looking at doing a 1911 build from scratch. I've seen their lowers and they have a receiver made of titanium. Any experience with the recon version? Also thinking of useing a Les Bear upper along with a 5" threaded barrel. Suggestions comments?
This build will take a good couple of months to build because of funds so don't expect pics for awhile.

Re: Caspian 1911 lowers

If this is your first build I would not use the titanium. A small mistake could be pretty costly and titanium is supposedly a lot harder to work with

CCgunworks...wow beautiful work but A little out of my range. I'm building my pistol to save myself money but I'll keep them in mind haha thanks for the reference.
Ammomaster please elaborate more. I thrive on details and the more you give the better. I've taken 4yrs of machining back in HS so I understand how hard that stuff is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMMOWASTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If this is your first build I would not use the titanium. A small mistake could be pretty costly and titanium is supposedly a lot harder to work with</div></div> titanium is much hader then steel...

Try here: Foster industries

They manufacture/sell caspian blems, we've had a few in hand and couldn't readily see why they were blems. They don't always have a big stock, but the prices aren't bad.

Thanks Kenda! It doesn't specify what material they are made of, but at the very least I'll be looking at almost $100 savings on one. I'll have to contact them to see what they have in stock. Never liked the idea of a gun looking to pretty because then your afraid to damage it. Firearms are a tool not jewelry, but that is my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyclad Shinobi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Kenda! It doesn't specify what material they are made of, but at the very least I'll be looking at almost $100 savings on one. I'll have to contact them to see what they have in stock. Never liked the idea of a gun looking to pretty because then your afraid to damage it. Firearms are a tool not jewelry, but that is my opinion. </div></div>

The Foster receivers, unless otherwise specified, are carbon steel. Sometimes, if you come across the site at just the right time, you can make some major scores. I picked up some $400 retail frames for $90 a piece.
I've built a number of Caspian/Foster frames for myself and customers, always with excellent results.

The Ti frames usually have a higher rejection rate due to the material itself, and potential flaws in the castings hence the wait time it quite a bit longer. the super light weight though are a plus

Titanium is not hard to work with if you have the right equipment, tooling and calculate the proper feed rates. It's just what you are used to working with but make sure you are using some type of coolant or lube. Positive raked quality tooling and a proper set-up will get the job done.

One key thought is, once the frame and slide fit is completed and the gun ready to shoot I would recommend sending the frame out to get it coated with PVD prior to firing. If you shoot a uncoated frame it normally will gaul and ruin your slide to frame fit.

Once the frame is coated you can function test your gun and go from there.

Here is a Commander Caspian Ti lower with a Schuemann Tribrid 5" extended barrel. It's light and smooth although it smaller that governemnt it still has a 5" barrel.

10ge6c2.gif

Decoy what exactly is this PVD coating? Did a quick look on the net and found a bunch of advertisment on furniture...but little explanation on what the process is. Will the local gunsmith be able to do the coating, or do I have to send it elsewhere? Last time I went to the local gunstore they had to bring out the gunsmith to answer my questions haha.
The threaded barrels from Schuemann seem to be non-bushing variety. How does that work? I've previously owned a 1911-A1 so I have an understanding of how it works, but never dealt with the newer generation 1911s. Its interesting the things you can do with this system, and it appears the more I learn the less I know.
whistle.gif
Schuemann Product number GU45WTM4 is a Goverment model barrel and appears to fit the Wilson ramp....think I'll start taking notes on all the options available to me
crazy.gif

Also very interesting pistol Decoy. Almost does'nt look like a 1911!
shocked.gif

I bought a recon frame a while back from Brownell's. I've been picking up the needed components, a few each month. My local gun guy highly recommended the Recon.

IMG_0331-1.jpg

absolutely ARTWORK the caspian race ready recon's are! will get pics of mine up tonight

Caspians are awesome pieces to work with. I have a race ready frame that is awesome. I didnt build it but my gunsnith reallt liked it. If you call Gary at Caspian and tell him what your doing he will help you out. I got frame,slide,barrel, bomar sights, main spring housing and two mags for around $700.

GardDog223 is it carbonsteel? Keep us posted on your build
laugh.gif

Parga nice work on your pistol. Any suggestions on starting a build for us newbies :p I'm going to the book store now to read up on some gunsmithing.
On second note I may just start with a carbon steel frame just to get my feet wet, and then start on a Ti build. Same idea 5" threaded barrel, with railed frame, night sights, ect. ect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyclad Shinobi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GardDog223 is it carbonsteel? </div></div>

Yessir, CS & 20 lpi Recon frame. Link

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyclad Shinobi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Decoy what exactly is this PVD coating? Did a quick look on the net and found a bunch of advertisment on furniture...but little explanation on what the process is. </div></div>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_vapor_deposition

I believe Cathodic arc and Sputter are the most common

similar (sorta) to chemical vapor deposition CVD... (think coatings on lenses)

I wonder if you can do an electroless nickel coating on the rails,
there's some guys I work with that would know, I'll try to remember to ask them...

Pretty sweet deal Dock1 considering that most of the money spent is on receiver, slide, and barrel. I was doing some reading earlier and appears that that these three items and their fit are the cause of many headachs. But it also seems that your basic tools are synthetic stones, gunsmith files, sanding paper, and possibly a dermal drill...
CVD coating very interesting. Nickle coating would be a nice touch though. Did I mention that you guys are making me very impatient on starting my build.
mad.gif

Wait... this is your first 1911 build? Put the Ti frame out of your mind then. If you have yet to have the pleasure of fitting/lapping in a 1911 slide to the frame rails then I assure you you don't want to go with a Ti frame first try. Having watched my husband "build" a lot of various guns (pistol and rifle) it all seemed pretty basic. But most of its was basic fitment and straight forward assembly. Then he built my Dad a basic carry piece 1911, and made me help. Holy cow, its a pain compared to most others. Remember its a 100 year old design, and anyone who says they sell a "drop in" part is a liar. Plus you'll need to either buy or make all your own specialized tools. Crimpers, stakers, odd shaped lapping tools, and holders. Buy a CS frame and use the money you save to help with all the tooling you'll need. Good luck and have fun!

And thats why I do research first before I dive into the deep end
smile.gif
I've done light machine work with a lathe and mill but I don't have access to that kind of equipment, and never on a pistol. I came to the same conclusion myself when I did more research. I'm still going to do a Ti frame just next build at the least. Thanks for the help.

Sorry was out.

The PVD coating is done in a vaccum chamber so you will need to send it out to a company that does this process. I use Eifeler-Lafer (http://www.eifeler-lafer.com/) ask for Dave. Not all PVD coating are alike and are done at a variety of temperatures so PM me if you have questions and I will try to help you out. (or call Dave)

This is a Tribrid barrel and the rib and comps are integral to the barrel and it is a bull configuration. These one shoot very flat and accurate. You can use a bushing barrel from Schuemann and thread it for a cone comp or use a 5.4" threaded barrel for a comp, you just remove the bushing and the barrel will lock up on the slide.

The GU45WTM4 is a wilson/nowlin ramp, a Clark/para would have a C in place of the W or a U for unramped.

I've been building Caspians for over 20 years now. I specialize in bullseye pistol and have built many Caspians. I just finished a personal 6" long slide that is by far my favorite .45 competition pistol. Most 1911 gunsmithing is fairly straight forward, but it takes a really good teacher to show you how to fit a barrel. In the last year I have rebarreled pistols built by Baer, Nygord and Clark. None of the major manufacturers that are producing so called custom pistols are worth a damn when it comes to barrel fit. Barrel fit it what makes or breaks accuracy. I have built 1" 50 yard pistols, why? Because I was properly trained how to fit a barrel. It's not magic (LOL) but it does take patience, lots of patience. I typically spend 3-4 hours on fitting the bottom lugs alone. It's tedious, but well worth it. I encourage you to build your own pistol if your mechanically coordinated. If you do wood work and sanding marks in the finish don't bother you, then I'd recommend against building your own pistol. Good luck!