• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cast Bullets Subsonic Suppressed

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    I have avoided cast bullets in suppressers. Is anyone using them with good result on subs over the long haul? Pros/Cons?
    Thanks!

I've pondered this. But never dedicated the time to actually looking into it.
    My feeling is I'd want a user-serviceable can, and I'd run powder coated bullets. If you had that I think you'd be covered both subsonic, and, with the correct alloy, running them hard (anywhere up to 2000fps.).
    I've never powder coated, just always cast and lubed, but it seems like powder coating would help cut down on the mess with both lead and lube flying out the end of the barrel. You can clean the lube and carbon fouling out of a sealed can, but lead would be a different story.
    I've been thinking about it in terms of a .45 Suppressor that can run from .45 ACP to .45-70 (along with .45 Colt, .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, .458 American), and again, be user serviceable.
    Hope mentioning another forum isn't against the rules, but I'd look over on castboolits and see what those boys say about it. Most of what I learned about casting I learned over there.

my buddy is doing it extensively with his 7.62x39. if you are running them subsonic, and have the right alloy and a gas check, shouldnt be a problem. hell, i use plain base (no gas checks) on my 44’s or 357s and i am running them over the sonic barrier with no leading. bullet alloy and lube are the keys.

increase your bullet weight to compensate for the slower speed....there is more than one way to make power.

Last edited:
    I'd make sure I could use the dip mix or have a serviceable can either way.

IF that isn't a option, quality powder coating and properly sizing to your bore should give very good results. I've shot several thousand coated 357 bullets through a mysticx, and it's pretty clean when I take it apart. Loads are VERY mild and quiet though. Hotter loadings may vary for you.

I do try to avoid gas checks in cans... may be me being overly cautious though. Powder coating properly should pretty much eliminate the need for them in most applications I'd think, especially subsonic lower pressure stuff.