• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Catalytic converter theft

Definitely a real problem. Buddy of mine owns a muffler shop and they replace cats all day everyday due to theft. Happens more often in poorsville than affluent neighborhoods. Certain cars more likely to get hit than others, because the cats are more accessible

Huge problem. I work in fleet maintenance and see cats stolen all the time from all over the US and Canada. Prius are pretty popular since they are very valuable on the scrap market. In general, hybrids are very expensive to replace the cat on. The part itself is usually anywhere from 2000-2600 just for the car if bought new, then you need all the other parts to put it on. There are other ones on the marke too that are more expensive but are made out of hardened steel. Have seen and approved a couple that had steel cable around the cut points. Then you have muffler shops that fab their own with rebar too. Vans and trucks are usually easy too since you have a lot of room and they are easy as hell to steal. Usually less than 2 minutes and they are done.

There was a idiot earlier this year that got killed trying to steal a converter on a Prius when the jack that lifted the car fell onto him and killed him. Looked like his friend tried to pull him out too. The cops found him without his shoes on.

Huge problem. I work in fleet maintenance and see cats stolen all the time from all over the US and Canada. Prius are pretty popular since they are very valuable on the scrap market. In general, hybrids are very expensive to replace the cat on. The part itself is usually anywhere from 2000-2600 just for the car if bought new, then you need all the other parts to put it on. There are other ones on the marke too that are more expensive but are made out of hardened steel. Have seen and approved a couple that had steel cable around the cut points. Then you have muffler shops that fab their own with rebar too. Vans and trucks are usually easy too since you have a lot of room and they are easy as hell to steal. Usually less than 2 minutes and they are done.

There was a idiot earlier this year that got killed trying to steal a converter on a Prius when the jack that lifted the car fell onto him and killed him. Looked like his friend tried to pull him out too. The cops found him without his shoes on.
that's awesome, and needs to happen a LOT more often. Thieves are disposable.

I know two folks (former workmates) that had theirs stolen - in affluent areas. The folks from "poorsville" are up here all the time. One was at a movie theater.

VERY real problem, especially on trucks/SUVs.

60 seconds with a sawzall and they’re off. I know some people who have spraypainted their cats with high-temp paint to discourage theft.

Scrap buyers who purchase converters are fueling this, IMO.

By me they mostly hit the lots where dealerships store their cars. Usually the “security guard” is in on it.

it became mainstream when the precious metals price started going crazy about 15 years ago

they were being sold for scrap because of the metals iinside...platnum, palladium and a few others

the few mg's of precious metals were worth more than the cat itself on the used market

watched a news program about it back then

guys were jumping the fences in dealerships and chopping dozens a night, then selling them to be melted down

the cops started checking up on foundries to see if there was a influx of cat's then they would investigate and see whos in on it

Reactions: MtnGhost
I think there are some things that could be done to curb this.
I know where I live to scrap precious metals you have to have a permit from the sheriffs department you have go there and fill out the paperwork get fingerprinted and IDed. From what I hear it has helped slow down the theft.

VERY real problem, especially on trucks/SUVs.

60 seconds with a sawzall and they’re off. I know some people who have spraypainted their cats with high-temp paint to discourage theft.

Scrap buyers who purchase converters are fueling this, IMO.

So how do you recycle them when they die? Oilfield and mining trucks need new cats regularly, as the low speed and idle time plugs them up and then they get replaced.

Piles and piles of them get chucked every year because they went bad, not because they're stolen.

The issue is the "I'm just feeding my family" thieves that get slaps on the wrist time and again. Crushed by a car seems appropriate karma.

Our local Christian school had the cat from the bus taken. Got it on video, truck pulled up and two guys jumped out with a cordless sawzall. Two minutes later they were back in the truck driving off. I agree with palmetto-pride but in my opinion it’s the same issue with pawn shops. They may have some rules about showing id and so forth but it doesn’t seem to slow down the flow of chainsaws and tools that continue to get stolen and end up there.

Our local Christian school had the cat from the bus taken. Got it on video, truck pulled up and two guys jumped out with a cordless sawzall. Two minutes later they were back in the truck driving off. I agree with palmetto-pride but in my opinion it’s the same issue with pawn shops. They may have some rules about showing id and so forth but it doesn’t seem to slow down the flow of chainsaws and tools that continue to get stolen and end up there.
different conversation and dont want to derail but that is a primary reason for paperless money.

if you sell a stolen good and receive cash and that good is sold for cash its untraceable.

if it all goes on "your credit card", its traceable/trackable and the govt gets their cut of the taxes as well

Reactions: camocorvette
A local car dealership got hit over the weekend and someone stole a number of catalytic converters. It's a real problem.

So how do you recycle them when they die? Oilfield and mining trucks need new cats regularly, as the low speed and idle time plugs them up and then they get replaced.

Piles and piles of them get chucked every year because they went bad, not because they're stolen.

The issue is the "I'm just feeding my family" thieves that get slaps on the wrist time and again. Crushed by a car seems appropriate karma.
In Cali, they basically write you a ticket for FELONY theft and let you go.

A friend has an auto repair shop. Had two cut out of cars sitting out front overnight. Has them on video. Cops said he had to actually catch them under the cars cutting them out before they could do anything. They also told him it's not illegal to be crawling under cars parked outside.... He couldn't believe that one......

That's why knowing your serial numbers is important. Pawn Shops report anything they buy or take in as collateral on a "loan". If there is a serial number, that is one of the things reported.
Texas now requires the person selling a converter at a recycling center to provide the VIN, along with their identification and thumbprint. It also limits the payout and requires proof of ownership of the vehicle it came off.

As said: real. Based on the neighbors who have lost one and that my on-street truck has absolutely not, the usual anti-theft measures seem to be true. For example, mine is right in front of the house, on street, with a streetlight not more than 20 ft away. The neighbor behind me has his truck in his driveway, but instead of being safer it's the opposite for this sort of thing. It's down a slope, behind his house, so blocked from the corner streetlight or other ambient light, and he turns off all his little decorative outdoor lights at night. He thinks the driveway is right where he lives with his new fire pit and exterior TV patio but once he goes in, it's a maw of darkness, suitable for crimeing.

Similar for others. Note for homes esp: "security lights" are too bright and too point-source so add glare and shadows so don't help. Let the wife pick out some lights to highlight the house and the plantings around it. That dim light means everything can be seen /a little/, by neighbors, roving patrols, and you looking out the window.

A friend has an auto repair shop. Had two cut out of cars sitting out front overnight. Has them on video. Cops said he had to actually catch them under the cars cutting them out before they could do anything. They also told him it's not illegal to be crawling under cars parked outside.... He couldn't believe that one......
the problem is that catalytic converters don't have part numbers associating them with a specific make/model, as far as not being illegal to go under a car, you are not entering a vehicle, the vehicle is parked in a place that is typically open to the public.
Otherwise, every kid that has ever crawled under a car to get a ball or frisbee would be a criminal.

Reactions: Simonsza1
I think there are some things that could be done to curb this.
I know where I live to scrap precious metals you have to have a permit from the sheriffs department you have go there and fill out the paperwork get fingerprinted and IDed. From what I hear it has helped slow down the theft.
It's the same here. I have to show and record ID to recycle aluminum cans.

There is a huge network of criminals that pay the individual cat-converter thieves directly, then process the parts themselves.

Those laws have no impact on criminal activity.

Do not leave your car on the side of the road. Driving around here anything sitting overnight has the cut pipe laying under it.

Definitely a problem here too. A friend owns a garage and has had them cut off of trucks on his lot.

He told me bad guys can get hundreds of dollars for each one. Crazy prices.

tweakers will steal anything thats not bolted down...

...and if it is bolted down, they will cut it off with a sawzall.

i dont even live in a bad area, but ive see at least 6-7 cars with the cats stolen in the last 2 years.

honestly, scrappers need to be held more accountable.....if you see a dude walking in like a fuckin zombie and laden with track marks, carrying 8 cats.....theyre fuckin stolen, and you fucking know it.

there be platinum in them there cats grab it boys . lol you could get more of it by sweeping a 1/4 mile of highway the sides of them hold lots of treasures if you into that . lol

Big issue at boat ramps around here. Managed to catch a trio hitting lake monroe and patoka lake a few months back.

different conversation and dont want to derail but that is a primary reason for paperless money.

if you sell a stolen good and receive cash and that good is sold for cash its untraceable.

if it all goes on "your credit card", its traceable/trackable and the govt gets their cut of the taxes as well
Are you advocating for a cashless society ?

Are you advocating for a cashless society ?
I was waiting for this reply, which is why I said …off topic let’s not derail.

personally I have no issue with it because my business does not deal with cash and I pay my taxes properly.

I use credit cards not debit cards so I gain “points” at the same same price as cash transactions, making my purchase cheaper than a cash transaction at the end of the day.

but I do have a problem with the federal tax gap and because of my tax bracket …they come to me when the tax hikes are needed.

back to cats

Thieves usually abandon their "friends" as soon as things go sideways. Most likely the pancake was wearing Nikes.

Probably had some Jordan’s or some kapernick bullshit shoe that he bought with the money from the first round of cats he stole lol. His helper wasn’t going to leave those behind.

Toyota has an Accessory anti-theft shield for the Prius and a few other vehicles, makes it harder to steal the cats.

They gotsta find it before they can take it.
20210922_192228.jpg

Reactions: NoDopes
The really F’ up part in CA is you can’t order cat online. No vendor can ship cat to CA. You can only replace your cat at dearlership which they charge you 1-2k. I heard a guy own a big ford truck which had 4 cat all cut out and dealership ask almost 5k

The really F’ up part in CA is you can’t order cat online. No vendor can ship cat to CA. You can only replace your cat at dearlership which they charge you 1-2k. I heard a guy own a big ford truck which had 4 cat all cut out and dealership ask almost 5k
It's called a stupid tax for living in California .

Reactions: kc7pwx
I work at a Ford dealer.
The Cats and DPF and SCR on a diesel truck are worth a shitload. Like 6-8 thousand to replace.
A guy comes around once a month from down by Mexico an will give big money for anything we have.
Dealerships in the Corpus area have been being hit for years.
We've even seen cars and truck with the mufflers stolen. Because most criminals are retarded.
Churches, small business company vehicles, fleet vehicles...... anything lefts for a few hours is a target.

Unless they cut them off my cars...... Fuck you asshole its already hollow!

Reactions: wh20crazy
I always shit in a bag and sling it under my truck at the boat ramp here!

• Haha
Reactions: MtnCreek
Its happening here too. They hit one of the parking lots at work. My friends Tundra sat at the dealer for 6 weeks waiting for back ordered cats. They are also stealing tailgates too. If you have a locking tailgate keep it locked.

Its happening here too. They hit one of the parking lots at work. My friends Tundra sat at the dealer for 6 weeks waiting for back ordered cats. They are also stealing tailgates too. If you have a locking tailgate keep it locked.

I have a locking tailgate on my new truck, and it drives me nuts having to unlock it to jump in the bed! Without a topper/tonneau cover I thought they were pointless.
Guess I must be in a decent place if I've never had a tailgate jacked in 20 years of driving trucks.

I have a locking tailgate on my new truck, and it drives me nuts having to unlock it to jump in the bed! Without a topper/tonneau cover I thought they were pointless.
Guess I must be in a decent place if I've never had a tailgate jacked in 20 years of driving trucks.
I've seen one Tacoma tailgate stolen at work and one Tundra tailgate stolen in front of co workers house. Fucked up part is the Tacoma tailgate was on Offerup a few hours after it was stolen. The same guy on Offerup had a Super duty tailgate and a Chevy tailgate for sale too.

the problem is that catalytic converters don't have part numbers associating them with a specific make/model, as far as not being illegal to go under a car, you are not entering a vehicle, the vehicle is parked in a place that is typically open to the public.
Otherwise, every kid that has ever crawled under a car to get a ball or frisbee would be a criminal.
Are you advocating for defunding the police?
Let's see.... It's night time and a guy is under a car at the dealership/repair shop/ residential street with a sawsall. Kids getting soccer ball, basketball, baseball from under car on residential street/ besides playground...... SMH!!
You win the stooopidity of the day post.

Go ahead and say that you are arguing the point of legality of going under a car. Please please ohh please do. Then go polish that badge with the same breathe that you fogged a mirror with.

When I was working at a Ford dealer, I saw stolen tailgates all the time. Depending on the model Ford, it's anywhere from 4-7k to replace it depending on the options. Then I moved to Chevy and about the only things that was stolen on Chevys were the wheels.

I'd like to kick whoever's ass that came up with autolocking tailgates.
i hate the whole auto locking, having to have your foot on the brake to start and shift.
i hate all the lights that blink when i get in or out of the truck
i hate all the interior lights that can not be turned off so i cannot drive in the dark

When I was working at a Ford dealer, I saw stolen tailgates all the time. Depending on the model Ford, it's anywhere from 4-7k to replace it depending on the options. Then I moved to Chevy and about the only things that was stolen on Chevys were the wheels.
We had a tailgate theft at one of our local dealerships. Video was pretty crappy and the camera was pretty distant from the truck, but the moron's had such distinctive wheels on their truck, we were able to identify the suspects. One of the other agencies in the area recognized the truck.

Eric the car guy just posted a new vid on this. He's posted previous vids also - he had one stolen, caught on video.

A more cost effect deterrent option.. can't vouch for it.