• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cataract Surgery ?

TRP173

Old Grunt
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2011
TN
I have done a search and have not found an answer to my concern. So to anyone who had cataract surgery and had distance lens installed can you see the sights on a pistol or revolver? Thanks

I had cataract surgery on both eyes, I’m right handed. Told eye doc I wanted to be able to shoot a pistol and rifle with right eye was my major concern. We decided to try mono vision, did my left eye first and and made it near sighted so I could read good with that eye. My brain adjusted OK to left eye near sighted, right eye far sighted so a year later he did the right eye and made it so I could see great at distance- far sighted. Now 10 yrs later I still don’t need glasses at all. But for precise pistol shooting I had a pair of glasses made that were the opposite of bifocals and had the close vision lense on top of the glasses, the doc called them electrician glasses. That focuses perfect at arms length and has no magnification on the bottom half, works pretty slick. I still shoot way more pistol without the glasses than with, but if you really want to focus on front sight and let the target blur that is a good way to go. Scope is no problem.

When I hunt or ski I put a distance contact in my left eye to see everything good at a distance with both eyes, but then can‘T read good.

I’d be lying if I said i wasn’t as nervous as a whore in church when he did my left eye, but when he did my shooting eye it was scarier. Got lucky both went well, PM me if you want to discuss or call. Find the best eye surgeon you can.

My dad had both eyes done in March. He opted for the more expensive lens that lets you have mostly regular vision near and far. Came out with 2020 in one and 2025 in the other and has no problem with the sights on a snub 38.

Both eyes doone 2 weeks apart 5 years ago. Went from 20/90 20/90 to 20/15 20/18. I went with the distance lenses but on a bright day can read the newspaper. In and out in 4 hours or less, bandages off next day. The first week or so its wierd, like looking through a microscope or sharp lense.

Not all surgeons are equal. Do your research and get a guy who specializes in this work, not one who does it occasionally.

Maggot, sounds like you really got lucky but can you see the sights and target using a pistol? I had 20-15 until I hit my 40's and really miss it and would love to get it back.

Maggot, sounds like you really got lucky but can you see the sights and target using a pistol? I had 20-15 until I hit my 40's and really miss it and would love to get it back.

I did get lucky. Its scary as shit having someone poke a hole in your eyeball. I figured, WTF I cant see anyway.

Yeah, sighting is no problem.

If you dont have cataracts you can strengthen your eyes with exercises.

Reactions: TRP173