• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cataracts

Stephen T

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2020
KCMO (Parkville), Mo
Finishing cataract surgery and have some questions. What is best lens color for rimfire benchrest shooting for light sensitivity on targets at 50 and 100 yards? What temple pieces fit best under ear muff hearing protection? Do trivex lenses really improve visuals at the range? Does anyone have experience with Hunter Gold frames for Rx prescription bifocal bottom clear top lenses?

I just went thru cataract surgery on both eyes in Feb/March of this year. Still trying to figure out the right combo of lens. I shoot 50yd BRRF only, so can't help at 100yds. The range I shoot RFBR at is covered/shaded with an extended awning on the front. We shoot daytime (noon start) and night time matches, start around 5-6pm and finish up at under darkness. Range uses portable LED lights to light up the target boards.

I used some yellow tint lens on the first match at night about 3 weeks ago, and they help with overall sight, but not sure they helped any when looking thru the scope (SIII 45xED) so i need to try some clear lens at the next one to compare. During the day matches, I prefer the amber (on the darker side) as these allow better vision at the benches for me when looking thru the scope and moving around in general. Glare is reduced or not bothersome to me with the amber lens. I tried a pair of dark green colored lens and these seemed a bit too dark to me to see safely/comfortable while under the cover of the firing line and at the bench. While I had no real "issues" with the dark green lens, I just felt like I could see better with the amber lens during the entire match. I used the amber lens while out west on a sage rat trip in early May more than the dark green for the same reasons, and even on the overcast/cloudy days I could see clearly IMO.

Whether the earpieces are comfy with PPE will depend on what you have and how it all fits together. One pair of sunglasses and one pair of earmuffs did not get along at all for me (got a headache in about 15 minutes) but another pair of sunglasses fit good/comfortable with the same earmuffs, and I went on about my activities.

If I'm driving, then I need/want the dark green lens due to glare coming back up off the asphalt in bright sunshine, and prefer the amber lens on overcast and rainy days. In summary, it's all trial and error to find what works for you in different conditions IMO.