• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cause for concern? (see pic)

Volatile

Sergeant
Minuteman
Hello,

I just picked up a new Rem SPS Varmint last week... I have not fired it, and have not cleaned the bore. Today, I was taking a close look and noticed two marks inside the bore.

Unfortunately, Keith @ AZ has my bolt, so I'm unable to see if these marks are affecting accuracy, but I thought I'd post a pic on here to see what you guys think.

I can't really tell if there are any other marks further down the barrel... I tried looking with a flashlight, but without a bore scope, I don't think I'm going to be able to see much.

4633161264_b14d46a32b_o.jpg

Re: Cause for concern (see pic)?

I would clean it and see what happens. From the picture it could be a tool mark or a little rust. I would hit it with a nylon brush and see what happens.

Shoot it and see...It's not a custom barrel and will have some imperfections.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would clean it and see what happens. From the picture it could be a tool mark or a little rust. I would hit it with a nylon brush and see what happens. </div></div>

Yeah, I'm pretty certain it's a tool mark. No change with a nylon brush.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot it and see...It's not a custom barrel and will have some imperfections. </div></div>

Yeah, for sure... I guess the main reason for my moment of panic was due to a recent experience where I had to deal with CMMG to get an AR barrel replaced that had tool marks in the crown. In that case, it affected accuracy so bad that I couldn't get a 12" group @ 25 yards.

All in all, I'm not terribly concerned as I am planning on replacing the barrel down the road, but it would be nice to put a few hundred rounds through it first.

I'll post an update when I get by bolt back from Keith and have had a chance to take it out to the range.

For a Remy crown, I think it looks fine. My SPS shot half MOA and looked like that until I re-cut it down to 21"

We're 100% caught up as of right now. Everything will be going out tomorrow(Monday), if it has not already gone out.

Should see your bolt soon.
I'm sure the rifle will shoot.

Keith

BTW, after breaking the barrel in correctly, only clean every 100-200 rounds, or if you see accuracy decline.

I clean my SPS only when it rains, or I'm out in a bad dust storm. I dont clean because of round count. I think those barrels shoot better fouled. Mine does.

All rifles are different. Do what you need for it to shoot well. But do NOT over clean.

Thanks Keith, that's very reassuring.

Actually, you don't <span style="font-style: italic">technically</span> have my bolt yet, but I just tracked it and you'll be receiving it tomorrow morning.

[edit]Looks like we posted at the same time[/edit]
Re: over cleaning

Yeah, I'm pretty careful not to overclean, with the exception of my ARs... I tend to probably clean those a little more often than is necessary.

Here's a silly question: Are you talking about the 2 small copper (jacket fouling?) smears inside the end of the barrel? Or something else? Those copper smears will come out with good copper cleaners and/or bronze brushing (my experience has been very poor removing copper fouling with nylon brushes). If you don't like them and they keep coming back, use UBC in the barrel. I had something like that (but VASTLY worse and all over the place) in a bolt gun, and fire lapping helped, but UBC was the final step that stopped it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MZ5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a silly question: Are you talking about the 2 small copper (jacket fouling?) smears inside the end of the barrel? Or something else? Those copper smears will come out with good copper cleaners and/or bronze brushing (my experience has been very poor removing copper fouling with nylon brushes). If you don't like them and they keep coming back, use UBC in the barrel. I had something like that (but VASTLY worse and all over the place) in a bolt gun, and fire lapping helped, but UBC was the final step that stopped it. </div></div>

I've never fired the rifle. It's definitely possible that it's copper fouling if it was test fired at the factory. I hadn't really thought about that... I just ruled out copper fouling in my mind because I have never fired it personally.

I was confused too, cause it was referred to as the crown.... those two copper (or rust) marks are not part of the crown. But I think they test fire every rifle at the factory, so even if you haven't fired it, it could be copper. Looks like copper to me. Put some good copper cleaner on a Q-tip, if it turns greenish blue....bingo.

Copper streaks
Something is wrong if a Factory Remington does not have them. Clean to a light blue patch using Shooter's Choice.

Looking inside the bore of a Factory rifle barrel that is a miracle shooter is a confidence smasher. Kinda like watching your first born in the delivery room. It may take you a while to play with her again.

shoot it and see how it does

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrbet83</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was confused too, cause it was referred to as the crown.... those two copper (or rust) marks are not part of the crown. But I think they test fire every rifle at the factory, so even if you haven't fired it, it could be copper. Looks like copper to me. Put some good copper cleaner on a Q-tip, if it turns greenish blue....bingo. </div></div>

Sorry, I should have clarified this earlier when someone mistakenly thought I was referring to the crown. I was in fact discussing what you have all identified as copper fouling inside the bore. (I later mentioned crown damage that I had on another rifle barrel, and probably confused the issue as well).

Anyway, I'm relieved to hear that this is all it is, and feel a little silly for overreacting / thinking it was tool marks... I've never actually had an instance where I could visually inspect copper fouling... I've only seen it as blue spots on a wet patch.

Thank you all for your replies.

Here is a little trick that will help you look into your barrel. Get a white cleaning patch and roll it up tight. Then poke it down the muzzel hole about 1/2 inch. Shine your flashlight down the hole. You will be surprised how well you can see the inside of the barrel.

Maybe a small spot of rust,just clean before shooting,Ive had a few new rifles that had alot of crap in the barrel