• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Cayuga" Hunting Bullets

Im intrested, i've had great luck with old school Barnes X's. Close and longer ranges.

PVA told me they expand very little and are made to tumble. Not sure how I feel about that for hunting. Only one way to find out. Look up cold bore miracle. They have an article back in January I believe where they shot some elk. Looked pretty good from the video they have.

PVA told me they expand very little and are made to tumble. Not sure how I feel about that for hunting. Only one way to find out. Look up cold bore miracle. They have an article back in January I believe where they shot some elk. Looked pretty good from the video they have.
Yeah same here. There said all bullets will tumble but i seen those elk 400 to 500 yards with 6.5 creedmoor dropped them only doing 2850 so im gonna try some i think 210 30 cal just gotta wait for new barrel. I hope they work bc is awesome

Reactions: coldboremiracle
I have the 7mm 170s. My new barreL should be done next week. Trying these and the cutting edge Lazer 185s

Ask @coldboremiracle . Hes killed a bunch of big critters at distance. Check out my podcast episode with Josh. We talk extensively about the Senecas and Cayugas.

Here is the link to the episode.

planning on trying the 151's in my 7 mag this year for elk. How were velocities? pretty close to other bullets in their weight class?

Ive been procrastinating, I have brass and a .282" mandrel headed my way. ill be making a video and ill post it here. im still trying to decide how I want to go about load development.
Alright i was just curious. I ended buying some and going to use them deer and elk this year. 28 nosler though

I couldn’t get the 122s to shoot in my 6.5 prc. Going to load some 170s in my 28 this weekend.

I had decent groups .700 with sd 17 es 9 3228 151 shot out to 860 and drops were pretty dead on and shot great at distance

You suppose to make sure the drive band isnt in lands so i went extra to start with 35 to 40 shot the best off

I tried the 77 cayugas in a 24” 8 twist AR-10 in 22 Creedmoor and I didn’t have enough twist to stabilize them. That being said I have ~75 of them laying around if someone want to try them.

temping. I've thought about them for my Valk.
If you have a 6.5-7 twist they might work. They cost me $.90/ to get them to my door. I will do $.75/ tyd on what I have left . PM me if you want to give them a try.

so I'm riding the struggle bus with these 7mm 151gr cayugas. ran between the house and the range a few times today.

the velocity is there but I can get them to group. my best group was .7" @ 100.

I had one load pushing 3150 with an ES of 4 on a 3 shot group. played wih seating depth and things got bad.

going from my custom to a factory hunting rifle is a good humbler....

I think ill take the two best loads and take them out to 400 tomorrow morning. one is 3050~ and the other is the 3150 load.

the rifle is a 24" 9.5 twist bergara ridge.

so I'm riding the struggle bus with these 7mm 151gr cayugas. ran between the house and the range a few times today.

the velocity is there but I can get them to group. my best group was .7" @ 100.

I had one load pushing 3150 with an ES of 4 on a 3 shot group. played wih seating depth and things got bad.

going from my custom to a factory hunting rifle is a good humbler....

I think ill take the two best loads and take them out to 400 tomorrow morning. one is 3050~ and the other is the 3150 load.

the rifle is a 24" 9.5 twist bergara ridge.
I didnt get the 1 whole groups either but i didnt press it. Shot a pretty decent 5 shot groups at 100 yards and ran with them. Shot them out to 870 yards and shot great. Mine is a 28 nosler and i didnt have much time to get it all set up but very happy at distance with them

I didnt get the 1 whole groups either but i didnt press it. Shot a pretty decent 5 shot groups at 100 yards and ran with them. Shot them out to 870 yards and shot great. Mine is a 28 nosler and i didnt have much time to get it all set up but very happy at distance with them

honestly it could be a lot of the gun. or me but I felt pretty good about my shooting. I may just get a "good enough" load and keep any shots on game inside 600. I mostly just want to buck the wind.

honestly it could be a lot of the gun. or me but I felt pretty good about my shooting. I may just get a "good enough" load and keep any shots on game inside 600. I mostly just want to buck the wind.
Im going to spend more time with loads after this year. But i have to say my load was in the .700 but i had one that i know was off take that away it was in the .400 or .500 but at distance these bullets shot even better in 15 to 20 mph winds very impressed so far looking to test on game mule deer is in 2 weeks

take it for what it is, I know I missed things lol. but I did get to test in the wind some!

How come you dont think they would be good for deer? Hopefully i find out the 24th saturday. But they seem to be shooting pretty good you liking them?

I guess my thinking is that some of the smaller framed animals wouldnt give the bullet enough time and material to expand well. A shoulder shot would be a must, I personally wouldnt want to risk penciling on the rib cage.

not definitive. but just my thoughts. also assuming a small bodied deer. I bet the big boys would take it just fine.

let us know!

I guess my thinking is that some of the smaller framed animals wouldnt give the bullet enough time and material to expand well. A shoulder shot would be a must, I personally wouldnt want to risk penciling on the rib cage.

not definitive. but just my thoughts. also assuming a small bodied deer. I bet the big boys would take it just fine.

let us know!
Yes i will hopefully post pictures if i get one. Im prolly not going to be to picky because i want to see these bullets in action before i take them bull elk hunting in November. Also what was the final velocity with your load in the 7mm mag

Yes i will hopefully post pictures if i get one. Im prolly not going to be to picky because i want to see these bullets in action before i take them bull elk hunting in November. Also what was the final velocity with your load in the 7mm mag

yup, my hunt starts on saturday so i may have pictures of the inside of a bull soon enough.

I was able to get 3150fps which im pretty happy with. seemed to hit steel hard!

yup, my hunt starts on saturday so i may have pictures of the inside of a bull soon enough.

I was able to get 3150fps which im pretty happy with. seemed to hit steel hard!
Thats real good speed. Im only 3228 with a 28 nosler. Oh nice hopefully we get some pics of bullet performance

Reactions: Jackomason
took the load out to 733 yards tonight. these bullets are amazing.
20201021_181640.jpg
Screenshot_20201021-185917.jpg

edit: I meant to add that hits are very hard to see (not the initial impact but the mark left behind) at 700+ yards. I had to walk up to measure and only had a spray can to do so...

Last edited:
28 nosler 3228 vel with 151grain. Buck at 472 yards big damage from bullet no worries on opening up. Shot was right behind should clipping the shoulder a touch. Big hole was entrance

Attachments

• 20201027_132724.jpg
    20201027_132724.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 201
  • 20201027_132718.jpg
    20201027_132718.jpg
    857 KB · Views: 165
  • 20201027_132718.jpg
    20201027_132718.jpg
    857 KB · Views: 184
  • 20201027_132716.jpg
    20201027_132716.jpg
    747.2 KB · Views: 167
If the group doesn’t mind a dumb question here... I have a SA 6.5prc and I want to do a barrel chop to 20” and find a bullet that’s light enough to keep my velocities up north of 2900 like the Hornady 143’s are now with a 24” barrel. This is a dedicated hunting rifle. I’ll be getting a commercial outfit to load for me. Is this 122 Cayuga a good candidate? Is it too finicky for a post office ball park load development?

If the group doesn’t mind a dumb question here... I have a SA 6.5prc and I want to do a barrel chop to 20” and find a bullet that’s light enough to keep my velocities up north of 2900 like the Hornady 143’s are now with a 24” barrel. This is a dedicated hunting rifle. I’ll be getting a commercial outfit to load for me. Is this 122 Cayuga a good candidate? Is it too finicky for a post office ball park load development?
I believe there bullets are a great choice period for hunting and the 151 were pretty easy to find load. My hunting rifles i dont go crazy for 1 hole groups but im switching to them for all my hunting and also trying there target.

6.5prc + 20" barrel + 122gr Flatline >2900fps. No problem, w/o breaking sweat.
On precision, one way to find out - try them!

I have a couple questions on the 6.5 Cayuga. I received mine April 2020, and I'm wondering if there are different gen's of these? Mine were marketed as 123gr. They weigh 121 on the dot, and now marketed as 122 gr. Any significant changes made since earlier in the year?

Anyone dialed in ideal seating depth for these? Lands minus X measured off of drive band?

Thanks.

Reactions: Hooboy03
Got a bull elk down. Shot was 372 yards crazy winds today but bull ran about 50 yards into timber. Not sure how he even made it that far he was all mush inside big damage!!! It was dark have to go back to pack him out i did not see any meat damage

Old post I know, but I wanted to share some feedback. I have shot multiple weight bullets in multiple calibers, primarily .264 and .284 varieties. This past year I shot multiple hogs, javelinas, coyotes, and deer. Like a few of you have posted, the bullets work great on large game. All deer hardly left the position they were shot in. Large hogs were the same way. Javelina and coyotes were a bit different. They didn’t seem to provide enough resistance for the bullet to do it’s thing. They were all clean through and throughs with minimal expansion.

At first I was frustrated with this but then remembered what these are for, big game. For coyotes and such I will stick with a more rapidly expanding bullet. For big game this year they are my go-to.

Last thought - these are good for those fast caliber, fast twist rifles where other billets come apart. I was shooting the 170gr at 3300 in my 7-338 Norma imp. I had them faster but it shot well at that speed.

Old post I know, but I wanted to share some feedback. I have shot multiple weight bullets in multiple calibers, primarily .264 and .284 varieties. This past year I shot multiple hogs, javelinas, coyotes, and deer. Like a few of you have posted, the bullets work great on large game. All deer hardly left the position they were shot in. Large hogs were the same way. Javelina and coyotes were a bit different. They didn’t seem to provide enough resistance for the bullet to do it’s thing. They were all clean through and throughs with minimal expansion.

At first I was frustrated with this but then remembered what these are for, big game. For coyotes and such I will stick with a more rapidly expanding bullet. For big game this year they are my go-to.

Last thought - these are good for those fast caliber, fast twist rifles where other billets come apart. I was shooting the 170gr at 3300 in my 7-338 Norma imp. I had them faster but it shot well at that speed.
How was the bc on the 170?

These 7mm Cayugas are intriguing. I'm trying to put together a 7 SAUM for a sheep hunt early next year. Isn't the general rule of thumb with all copper solids to drop down a weight class or two? My initial inclination is to use something like a Berger 185 gr VLD or Hornady 175 ELD-X, but they're quite scarce. This 7 SAUM will be a short action too, so maybe the lighter 151 gr Cayuga would be a good choice. More velocity while still keeping the longer, sleeker profile of a 175-180?

These 7mm Cayugas are intriguing. I'm trying to put together a 7 SAUM for a sheep hunt early next year. Isn't the general rule of thumb with all copper solids to drop down a weight class or two? My initial inclination is to use something like a Berger 185 gr VLD or Hornady 175 ELD-X, but they're quite scarce. This 7 SAUM will be a short action too, so maybe the lighter 151 gr Cayuga would be a good choice. More velocity while still keeping the longer, sleeker profile of a 175-180?
I had great results with the 151. Yes i think you need to push them faster but they say they open up down to 1600.

Any results with 7mm 170? Bc? .257 117? Bc?
I came up with .640 on the 170s from an 8 twist wsm, tested to 1040 yards and I'm confident my equipment was precise.

I moved on to Badlands bulldozer 2s in my 6.5 saum and 30 Nos, so far the BCs actually match and expansion looks solid.
I shot the 205s at 1200 yards and expansion was perfect

Last edited:
Reactions: Bangin
I came up with .640 on the 170s from an 8 twist wsm, tested to 1040 yards and I'm confident my equipment was precise.

I moved on to Badlands bulldozer 2s in my 6.5 saum and 30 Nos, so far the BCs actually match and expansion looks solid.
Can you post a picture of the bd2 expansion? Very interested

That 205 is calling my name with that high of bc wow. I heard good things

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA

Also what is the overall length with those 205? Im thinking a 300 win mag in cip use them to shoot out to 1 mile and hunt with.

What is your 30 nosler load data? Speed?

Last edited: