• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cci 400 small rifle primers in an AR 15

RidgeRebel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Hurricane, UT
I have been using these primers in my AR for a while and had no problems but I was told that these primers could slam fire. Is this true or are they safe in AR's?

Re: cci 400 small rifle primers in an AR 15

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elksniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been using these primers in my AR for a while and had no problems but I was told that these primers could slam fire. Is this true or are they safe in AR's? </div></div>

Some primer cups are thicker/thinner than others. This being said, as long as you seat them below flush, like you should any primer, you're fine.

About the only primer you don't want to use in an AR and then only in loadings above say 38k-40k PSI, is the Remington 6 1/2 primers. If you keep the loads moderate to soft, you should be fine even using those.

Chris

+1, My dad and I loaded them for years for his AR15. It wasn't until recently that I knew SRmag primers existed, in probably 6000 rounds not a single slam fire.

Federal have soft primer cups. They market 'military rifle primers' as well with the thicker cup. Slam fires do happen when you have a free floating firing pin. I've had 3 in 6 months using up my regular federal no. 200 primers.

I have run thousands of these through my AR without issue.

I wouldn't use them. I mistakenly bought a thousand of them and used a few hundred in mine without issue, but I don't use them anymore.

Use the magnum primers; they have a thicker cup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Federal have soft primer cups. They market 'military rifle primers' as well with the thicker cup. Slam fires do happen when you have a free floating firing pin. I've had 3 in 6 months using up my regular federal no. 200 primers. </div></div>

Thanks, good post and good to know.

I just bought 1K federal 200's and plan on running them in an AR. I cut all my primer pockets with a Sinclair primer pocket uniformer so that I know they are clean and of the same depth. Hopefully I won't have any problems.

Side note... I bought my primers from a reputable bussiness for about $2.35 per hundred. There are still some decent people around that aren't gouging the F*** out of thier customers.