• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CCI 400 SR Primers Flattening

ohiogunnut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2008
Ohio, USA
Has anyone else read the threads on Brianenos and ARFCOM regarding CCI 400 SR primers flattening with moderate loads and heavy bullets? I have been working up a load for a 16" SPR build and settled on 24.4gr TAC under a 69gr Nosler which is max book load. Quickload shows just under max load as well, yet I am getting flat primers 10% of the time. Reading around on the net has shown several threads with people reporting this observation JUST with the standard CCI small rifle primers. I just loaded up 20 rounds using CCI 41 military primers with a harder cup to see if this is in fact the problem, but wanted to see if others here had encountered this. I checked headspace using go/no-go/field gauges and all is well there on the extension.

8103.jpg

Re: CCI 400 SR Primers Flattening

I had this happen with 25grs varget and 69 nosler,thicker cupped primers(br4) solved the problem.

I get that with the 400's using 24.6gr of AA2230 under 55gr Nosler BT's. I switched to 450's because the #41's are non-existent around here and the problem went away.

I have been getting the same thing with 24.5gr of varget under 75 gr bthp's. I was just fixing to start using a lighter load because I was worried about the possible overpressure situation.

I will hold off and just pay attention to other pressure signs.

Thank you for bringing this up.

Sean