• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cci 400 vs rem 7 1/2 benchrest .223

rweaver00geo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2010
benton il
Currently I use cci 400 in my savage bolt guns and an armalite AR. I run 25-25.5 grains benchmark (25.6 is max). I purchased some remington 7 1/2 benchrest primers to try out. They were on sale at natchez and were $3 buck per 1000 cheaper. What is a benchrest primer? Anyone have experience in switching from cci 400 to rem 7 1/2? Anything I should look out for? I will be unable to post any reply till sun evening.

Re: cci 400 vs rem 7 1/2 benchrest .223

The benchrest primers are typically a bit less aggressive than a non benchrest or conventional primer. The thinking is to let the powder do the work and discrarge the bullet, not the primer. I use both for 223 and 221 Fireball interchangably and don't see a real difference. I do notice a difference in the Fireball with CCI BR4 primers and I seem to get better consistency in the Fireball with Federal 205 primers. In the 223 I generally use the CCI400 primer with Varget, H4895, AA2230 or Benchmark.

Benchrest primers are often regular primers that have been visually inspected (for what I don't know). In theory they should be more consistent than a regular primer.

I tried a bunch of the remington SR benchrest primers because I was told they are THE primer for a 223 and saw no difference between them and the cci regs I have been using. YMMV

Bench rest primers are more consistent through the lot than standard primers. You may or may not see a difference in your loads switching from the CCI 400 to a 7 1/2. Start with a small batch to see if you need to rework your load.

i had a little bit of vertical in my reloads and switched to federal match primers and it went away

Ive read that the 7 1/2's are hotter than a standard primer and that it flames more? Also it may increase velocity by 50fps? Ive also been told by a local oldtimer that he uses them for winter loads. Weather or not that would offset a loss in velocity due temp I dont know and I dont have access to a chrony right now.

CCI400s cup is about .005" thinner than the Rem 7 1/2.

I was using 400s in my .204 and was getting cratering beginning below mid-range published data. Had some fine flow (about .001" thick) into the firing pin hole. Pressures running 40,000 psi +

I switched to Rem 7 1/2 and haven't had any problems.

My go to .223 load was worked up using CCI 200's - I tried a batch with Rem 7 1/2 br's and had one pierce the cup and others showing increased pressure signs. Admittedly this is a stout load but if running max / hot loads be wary of switching primers without working up.

Case pressure variation being apparent on target and the chronograph.

This can be caused by load development that is yet to be concluded. Case pressure causing point of impact dispersion occurs at the cusp of the next or former node. Velocity in mid-node is stable - unaffected by primer brand changes. This is part of the reason the OCW method of load development is necessary for a "completely" developed load.