• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CCI 450 Small Rifle Magnum Primer

jtac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2009
Natchitoches, La
Found a couple hundred Small Rifle Magnum Primers CCI 450. Ca I use these in loading for my 223? Do I need a certain powder to run with these or is the primers not going to work in general? Thanks for input.

Re: CCI 450 Small Rifle Magnum Primer

They are often recommended for some of the spherical powders. The reloading manuals differ on that, though, so always continue to pay attention to the details on published loads. There is some evidence that magnum primers are a good idea when shooting ammo in conditions below freezing. Lower extreme velocity spreads are the real reason--reliability of ignition becomes an issue LONG after you've wandered far, far into huge velocity spreads.

Bill Alexander of Alexander Arms has reported often getting top accuracy with spherical powder loads in the 6.5 Grendel when lit off by, specifically, CCI 450 primers.

You can even use them for stick powders. Just reduce and work up as per the standard instructions. I would personally add that if your velocities are above what's published for your barrel length for that powder, you're using up your safety margin regardless of how far "under max" the charge weight is. But please know that a load can also be overpressure without being up to "target velocity", because of other variables.

So, go ahead and use them but don't be stupid.

Yea I've had a hard time finding them and when I found those I bought some. I may just keep them and find some more. I'm loading for a $1000 Ar and don't want any mistakes so I'd rather take the safe route than risk it. Thanks for the info

I use them with 24.0 gr of TAC in LC brass in my piston bushmaster. Works great, accurate mild load.

They also have a thicker cup. Some find them less likely to be pierced and also to stand higher pressures. As was also stated above, they are specified for some ball powders.