• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cci benchrest primers for .338lm?

johnl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2006
Wet Coast
Tried search function, no joy. Anyway I have lots of CCI benchrest and winchester LR primers, Question are they both ok for the big lapua? I know lots of guys like fed 215M, but can I get away with the cci or winchester LR until I find the fed215? Trying some different loads for my Timberwolf with 300 SMK with Retumbo and H1000. Thanks

Re: cci benchrest primers for .338lm?

Use caution here. It may do just fine???? Be very concerned with a hangfire using that volume of powder in cold temps. Fed 215m is the way to go for sure.
Guther

Fed 215 or 215M only for the volume of powder you are using. Have tried rem, cci, win always end up with hang fires or miss fires. Not fun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tried search function, no joy. Anyway I have lots of CCI benchrest and winchester LR primers, Question are they both ok for the big lapua? I know lots of guys like fed 215M, but can I get away with the cci or winchester LR until I find the fed215? Trying some different loads for my Timberwolf with 300 SMK with Retumbo and H1000. Thanks </div></div>

It's a magnum, which as logic dictates, requires a magnum primer.

Big powder column.

CCI 250s, Winchester WLRMs, Remington 9 1/2s or 215(M)s will all work.

You're spending a lot of money reloading this caliber, don't take shortcuts.

Chris