• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CCI BR-4

malaga2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2005
    Wallingford, Connecticut
    Anyone have issues with these primers?... I loaded up 50 300 Whispers today and out of the 26 I attempted to fire 10 did not go off. New Primers...no issue with Federal/Winchester in my SBR'd Contender...

Re: CCI BR-4

Can you describe your contender in more detail? I suspect you are getting light strikes from the hammer.

I know the are probably too soft, but I loaded up some for my AR and had no issues. I think I loaded up 100.

How are you storing your primers? Just a thought

I don't think I've had 10 my whole life not go bang. Maybe a chipped firing pin or brass shavings in the firing pin hole???

Never a problem. CCI's are not "soft" primers, they are one of the hardest. Check your firing pin, spring etc.

Headspace on a Contender can be a real issue, and it can be really tough with the small shoulder on the whisper. If you have some fireformed brass that has not been re-sized yet back your die out a half turn or just neck size them and try it again. Unless something happened to the primers or your hammer spring is very old/weak I doubt its the primers.

Thanks,
    Ron

With a Contender:

1. Headspace could be the problem.
    2. It could be a weak hammer spring.
    3. It could be the firing pin. If you've shot loads that were too hot that made it hard to open, the action of opening it can shear off the tip of the firing pin. If you've had pierced primers, the tip of the firing pin could be sheared off.
    4. If you've put one of those gizmos on your hammer that sticks out on the side for easier cocking with a scope, that can cause light hammer strikes.

I've used bunches of CCI BR4 primers in my Contender with never a problem except for when I sheared the tip of the firing pin off.

Sometimes a primer will not seat flush.

When primers are manufactured, the anvil feet protrude a small distance, and when the primers are seated these feet get pushed flush with the primer rim, and this preloads the primer compound capsule, sensitizing it, or essentially 'arming' the primer.

If the primer cup itself is not seated deeply enough, sometimes this condition results in a primer that is not properly 'armed'. When the firing pin strikes it, this usually completes the seating process, but often also absorbs so much of the firing pin's energy that it fails to discharge the primer.

Outwardly, the primer looks good, and the shooter often concludes they either had a faulty primer or a light primer strike. Usually, if the primer seating depth was the actual issue, the primer will ignite with a second strike.

There may not be anything wrong with your primers. Make certain your primers are seated flush.

Greg

The frustrating thing is that I have used this contender without issue with Federal and Winchester Primers....looking at the CCI hits they do appear to me to be "light". Looking at the pic they are the first 10 in the box...
    CCIBR-4003.jpg

Primers are New...unless they were stored improperly at the store that is not an issue..this brass has been fireformed to this chamber...these are some hard primers !

Whoa! CCI had a production problem with BR4s and stopped production for several months. Even when other primers were still available, I couldn't find any BR4s and bought Remington 7 1/2s instead. I dunnno whether the problems have been fixed and CCI is making them again because that's when the rush on ammo and the paucity of primers hit the fan.

So, your primers are probably from the time when CCI had production problems with the BR4s. You might check The Firing Line or The High Road forums for more specific information. IIRC, the problem with the BR4 is exactly what you describe, but check it out further.

Here's some chatter about the BR4:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...p;Main=52997927

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The frustrating thing is that I have used this contender without issue with Federal and Winchester Primers....looking at the CCI hits they do appear to me to be "light". Looking at the pic they are the first 10 in the box...
    CCIBR-4003.jpg

Primers are New...unless they were stored improperly at the store that is not an issue..this brass has been fireformed to this chamber...these are some hard primers !
    </div></div>
    It's been a long day here, but is that bullet loaded into the case backwards?

(just a suggestion) on Whisper & primers, If want to try something different & you get a chance . Try using Fed. or CCI 'small pistol primers' for your .300 Whisper load . I use them on my Whisper (bolt action Rem.) I Only load and shoot subsonic Vel. load suppressed .and never have had any problem with them and my load is pretty accurate also . using 8.8 grn. A# 9 and 240 sierras.