• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CCI "Clean-22" Sub-Sonic Ammo (First Shots)

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    Was having some trouble in my recently purchased MPA 22BA with some types of lead-based ammo being tough to push the bolt into battery. (Rifle has a CZ457 action.) The round almost seemed "too big" with the final seating feeling like I had to push too hard to seat the round. It was weird. At the same time, I got a Hawke Vantage Rimfire scope 4-12x with a BDC reticle made for subsonic ammo in the 1,050 fps velocity range. Decided to try CCI's new "Clean-22" coated ammo since it was the closest match for scope velocity, and because I shoot suppressed (SC Sparrow-22) and "cleaner is better".

After a few hundred rounds on my range visit yesterday ... (where I made the bizarre change-over mid-day from .338 Lapua to 22LR Subsonic):
    • BDC hold-overs were super accurate (very happy with the scope)
    • Once zero'd overall accuracy was solid and consistent (sub-MOA at 50 - 2MOA at 100)
      • Shooting in about a 10mph quartering headwind)
    • Sound suppressed was "Hollywood Quiet"
    • Bolt "squishiness" was gone - bolt slides into battery with no issues
    • After getting home ... noted that suppressor and barrel were noticeably cleaner
    Really pleased with this rifle/scope/ammo combination. The fun part was extrapolating the hold-overs after target hits at 200 yards (last BDC mark) ... and getting consistent hits on 18x18 steel out to 300 yards. Accurate and reliable 22LR subsonic hits to 300 yards was damn impressive ... at least for me.

Bottom line ... CCI's "Clean-22" sub-sonic ammo is spot-on for what I need it for ... hitting small varmints from my 2nd story bedroom balcony ... at my 5-acre ranch in Central Oregon ... without pissing off my neighbors or accidentally fragging one of my wife's pet goats. It's quiet, clean, and accurate.

Best price I could find (with availability) was HERE. You can go there now. I just placed my order and they still have some left. (It's actually hard to find in stock.)

Hope somebody finds this helpful.

I've been thinking of getting some of the high velocity stuff for suppressed pistol shooting. Do you have a baseline of what the suppressor normally looks like after x-amount of rounds vs x-amount of the clean ammo?

I've been thinking of getting some of the high velocity stuff for suppressed pistol shooting. Do you have a baseline of what the suppressor normally looks like after x-amount of rounds vs x-amount of the clean ammo?
    Not really ... I can just tell you that "this week" after about 200 rounds of the Clean-22 ... took about half the time and half as many bore swabs as "last week" after 200 rounds of CCI standard velocity uncoated lead rounds. When stripped to baffles, the suppressor was definitely cleaner. Sorry ... no photos - just subjective personal evidence.

Good deal, thanks for posting and replying. Going to get a case of either the Christmas or breast cancer high velocity stuff from targetsports

Reactions: rustyinbend
    Good deal, thanks for posting and replying. Going to get a case of either the Christmas or breast cancer high velocity stuff from targetsports
    I rotate between Target-Sports, Outdoor Limited, and LAX Ammo ... their prices and sales are all very competitive.

My savage FV-SR loves the subsonic clean 22. It shoots it better than SK Standard Plus and a host of other .22 ammo I’ve tried. I run a form 1 silencer from Quiet Bore on mine and it’s definitley quiet.