• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CCI Clean-22 Subsonic for Precision .22/NRL22

Gustav7

Son of a Gun...
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 18, 2019
    Ohio (OH)
    My local club started doing NRL22 (not official) matches last year, and I started really getting into it. Actually my first match I used a CZ 452 trainer with open sights cause I didn't have a scoped .22 lol.

Anyway, bought a savage over winter to dedicate to these matches and longer range shooting and the first step was trying out ammo. I personally do not want to spend an arm and a leg on Lapua Center-X or Wolf Match Extra, so I capped my 50rd price point at SK Standard Plus. I tried a couple of the big box brands just in case it liked one of those, CCI clean .22, CCI SV, ELEY Target, SK Standard Plus, Fiocchi Match, Federal HV Match, etc.

Clear winners for my rifle were CCI Clean .22 and SK Standard Plus. 75-100yds testing showed no real difference. 50yd and in, CCI clean .22 definitely gave better groups.

We did a practice .22 session today and I spent the time on the 300yd range verifying my DOPE chart made with the standard info for CCI SV.

Rifle Info:
    Savage MK2 FVSR - 16.25in Barrel
    Quiet Bore .22 silencer
    Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16 w/ EBR2c
    50yd zero

Heres what my rifle verified for DOPE out to 225. (come up in MOA, range in yds)
    50 - 0
    100 - 8
    125 - 13
    175 - 22
    200 - 28
    225 - 35

The realistic DOPE for my rifle was all higher come up than what CCI SV stated, so I decided to chrono a few mags of the Clean .22.
    Out of 20 shots - I came up with:
    avg velocity: 1030
    high: 1060 (only 2/20 above 1045)
    Low: 1004 (only 2/20 below 1015)
    ES: 56
    SD: 14

After plugging in the true avg velocity and todays weather, Hornady ballistic app was pretty much spot on with the real data I got today. Unfortunately the wind started picking up and the longer grass made it impossible to see where I was missing on the 250yd target (5in target), so I stopped at 225yds.

I really like this ammo, however I may get a few more boxes of SK Standard Plus to see if its any more consistent. I don't think the Clean .22 is by any means horrible, and probably a lot better than most big box .22. Its also worth mentioning it is LESS dirty than most .22 ammo I've tried. Its by no means super clean or anything but hey....its .22 ammo lol.

Does anyone have more experience with SK Standard Plus....specifically with either ES and SD over 20-30 shots? Or does anyone have experience with it long range? past 150yds, either grouping or consistency?

thanks and hope the info on a newer ammo is helpful. Its definitely an ammo i'd consider for running with .22's that have permanent suppressors on them

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    My lot of SK+ out of the Tikka T1X went 9/10 on a 3" steel at 200 yards.

Thats pretty damn good lol, I imagine that was on a calm day. So needless to say you're good with the consistency?

If I could see an obvious increase in consistency over the Clean 22, I might make the switch. But if its even close, I'll prolly stick with what costs half as much.

Sorry to stray, but, you pretty happy with that MK2 FV SR? Thinking of grabbing one as a cheap lil bolt action suppressor host that I won't care a bunch about getting abused a little by kids, new shooters, etc. Sometimes I want them using a bolt instead of ripping through mags in the 10-22 which they seem to not be able to resist.

Reactions: bubula91b2
    Sorry to stray, but, you pretty happy with that MK2 FV SR? Thinking of grabbing one as a cheap lil bolt action suppressor host that I won't care a bunch about getting abused a little by kids, new shooters, etc. Sometimes I want them using a bolt instead of ripping through mags in the 10-22 which they seem to not be able to resist.

No worries, valid question. IN short, I love it. I couldn't be happier for the money, however I think its important to set your expectations. Not that your expectations should be low for a $250 Savage, but you also can't expect it to be a CZ 457 in SOME aspects (not all).

The accuracy of my rifle is quite good, especially for the money. I was consistently hitting 3-4" teardrops at 200yds the other day at my range (calm wind). With the CCI clean .22's and SK+ , 50 yd groups are typically sub MOA, often closer to 1/2" if I do my part; the stock does hinder this as it sucks big time. The 16.5" bull barrel is awesome and is what most likely improves accuracy. It comes factory with a metal, knurled thread protector which is nice. However I keep my Quiet Bore .22 silencer on it basically 100% of the time, which is SUCH A FUN addition, highly recommended. (my form 1 took 4 weeks, 4 days). It comes factory with the picatinny scope mount, which I found to work properly and a great little addition.

The downsides and the reason it's probably cheaper. The stock SUCKS... highly recommend replacing with a Boyds stock. The action is not as smooth as a CZ or similar priced rifle. This did not bother me, as a little elbow grease and real grease helps out a lot. Also, my action has not binded at all so I'm happy. I did have some extraction issues... I called savage, talked to an actual person, and she sent me two c-clips and two extra extractors for free; got them 6 days later. My extractor WAS NOT BROKE, the c-clip that holds it was not strong enough. I added a second c-clip on top of the first (it fits in the groove perfectly), and have not had a single problem for the last 500 rounds or so.

Personally.. I just don't think you could go wrong with it. SO far my rifle was $250(on sale), plus a used $300 Vortex diamondback tactical 4-16, and my used seekins rings for $90. So in total I have $640 total in my whole package of a rifle. Plan to add a $200 Boyds stock soon.

Heres me shooting out my back, 2nd story window. 180yds on the dot to the shooting pit. 22moa holdover or dial up.

IMG_4126.jpg

Feel free to ask me anything else. Can't say enough about the Savage for the money. That all being said....I'd Still love to own a CZ 457 cause they are beautiful, great feeling and shooting rifles.

Looks to be slightly better than my results on ES and SD, but groupings at 200 looks very similar to what I've gotten so far.

Thanks for copying those over. Love to see large groups at yardage for some of the .22 stuff

The biggest difference I think you will see in the CCI and SK is lotto lot consistency. Most of my SK and Eley are fairly consistent from lot to lot. With the CCI I use for practice I get huge variations. I have seen my POI change 3” at 100 yards when switching lots. I may get a small shift with the better ammo but nothing like that. You may also find that the next lot of CCI shoots like crap. In general if my rifle likes one flavor of SK or Eley that type will shoot pretty well regardless of lot.

Reactions: Gustav7
    I've been lucky so far. Bought 200rds from a local place when I did my first testing. Then bought 2k rounds from Target Sports, and so far it seems to be right on. Need to go back to 50yds on a calm day and see what my zero looks like again, and hope it groups well.

I get what you're saying though. I doubt SK is charging for smoke and mirrors, I'm sure QC and loading consistency is better. Maybe I'm just getting lucky right now lol.